Lead Design Reliability Engineer
Los Angeles, California /
Engineering – Engineering /
ABL Space Systems was founded in 2017 by veterans of SpaceX and Morgan Stanley to develop low-cost launch vehicles for the small satellite industry. More importantly, we’re building a launch system we are truly proud of – no gimmicks or over-design, just reliable, rapidly deployable launches. We’re an ambitious team with big goals and, together, we’re determined to prove that reaching space can be simple, efficient, and routine.
When launch day arrives, we want you by our side
As a Lead Design Reliability Engineer, you will be responsible for developing and managing systems engineering processes to solidify the design and upgrades of the RS1 launch vehicle. You will drive initiatives with technical leadership and work across functions to standardize and streamline hardware and system designs, improve design and development workflows, and catch interface issues before they are released to manufacturing. You understand how to architect systems that improve design quality without the process being overburdensome. We are looking for a Lead Design Reliability Engineer who is agile, flexible and thrives in a fast-paced environment.
- Define, develop, and lead the implementation of numerous processes and systems, such as requirements tracking and configuration control
- Collaborate with technical and corporate leadership to drive operational process improvements
- Work with design engineers to develop and implement design and analysis best practices
- Provide critical peer review and approval of hardware designs during design reviews, and of acceptance and qualification test campaigns
- 5-7 year's experience with quality, systems engineering, or design engineering
- Strong understanding of configuration control, traceability, and requirements systems
- Proficiency in enterprise systems including MRP/ERP, Teamcenter, and Jira
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills and attention to detail
- Excellent project management and program management skills
- Bachelors degree in electrical, manufacturing, mechanical, material sciences, or similar engineering degree from an accredited university
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Led the development of new or improvement of established quality and systems engineering systems
- Thorough understanding of industry standards such as: AS9100/ISO9001, SMC-S-016, RCC-319, AIAA-S-080, AFSPCMAN 91-710, NASA-STD-5012
- Experience designing or analyzing hardware and systems for aircraft, launch vehicles, or spacecraft
- Experience in developing or executing processes for several of the following: CNC machining, additive manufacturing, bending, tube forming and fabrication, detailed or complex assemblies, welding (TIG, OTW), PCB integration and testing, harnessing
WHAT WE LOOK FOR
- Critical thinking: ABL engineers understand the “why” behind all design decisions, operational events and test outcomes
- Ability to deal with ambiguity: ABL engineers must be comfortable defining their own pathway to an objective
- End-to end ownership: projects are delivered fully complete and ready for flight
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS/WORK ENVIRONMENTS:
- Ability to sit or stand for extended periods of time
- Ability to use a computer to complete assignments
- Ability to communicate with individuals and groups in person, by phone and telepresence
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee will typically work in an office environment
This position requires access to information protected under US export control laws, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations and/or the Export Administration Regulations. As such, US person status (including US citizens, permanent residents, asylees, and refugees) is a required qualification for this position.
Equal Opportunity Employer
We are an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, national origin, protected veteran status, disability, genetics, or citizenship status (when otherwise legally authorized to work and access export-controlled data) and will not be discriminated against on the basis of such characteristics or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. We encourage applicants of all ages.