Senior Automation Controls Engineer
El Segundo, California /
Engineering – Electronic Systems /
ABL Space Systems was founded in 2017 by veterans of SpaceX and Morgan Stanley to develop low-cost launch vehicles for the small satellite industry. More importantly, we’re building a launch system we are truly proud of – no gimmicks or over-design, just reliable, rapidly deployable launches. We’re an ambitious team with big goals and, together, we’re determined to prove that reaching space can be simple, efficient, and routine.
When launch day arrives, we want you by our side
As a Sr. Automation Controls Engineer, you'll be responsible for designing the controls architecture for a range of different subsystems within ABL. This can range from DAQ systems that test components that go on the rocket as well as designing & automating ground systems that support rocket launches. You will be working with many teams within ABL to Identify the needs, collect requirements, design, document, build and hand off fully automated systems. Some of these systems will be Integrated In remote locations so some travel will be expected during the Integration phases of these projects.
- Designing fully automated systems from scratch
- Selecting components for your designs (VFDS, contactors, relays, PLC's, IO modules, signal conditioners)
- Create IO lists, electrical schematics, panel layouts and Bill of Materials
- Creating work procedures to get your designs built and integrated by technicians
- Perform load calculations (electrical and heat) for control panels
- Integration, startup, and test of control systems
- Bachelors or Masters degree in Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering or applicable engineering field
- Minimum of 5 years of experience in automation controls
- Experience with 24VDC, 120/208/240/480VAC, WYE and Delta systems
- Experience designing Power Distribution systems up to 500kW
- Experience doing SCCR calculations
- Experience designing electrical schematics in AutoCAD Electrical.
- Experience designing safety circuits, selecting components, and performing safety validations
- Experience with Twincat and Profinet
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Extensive knowledge of with NFPA70 & 79
- Experience with FMEAs
- Experience designing temperature and pressure controllers
- Harness design
- Familiar with ISO 13849
WHAT WE LOOK FOR:
- Critical thinking: ABL engineers understand the “why” behind all design decisions, operational events and test outcomes
- Ability to deal with ambiguity: ABL engineers must be comfortable defining their own pathway to an objective
- End-to end ownership: projects are delivered fully complete and ready for flight
- As Automation controls engineer you need to have a good sense of safety for your designs as well as when performing work on control panels and job sites.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS/WORK ENVIRONMENTS:
- Ability to sit or stand for extended periods of time
- Ability to use a computer to complete assignments
- Ability to communicate with individuals and groups in person, by phone and telepresence
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee will typically work in an office environment
- Ability to lift at least 50lbs
The salary range for this role is $155,000 - $210,000. This is the lowest to highest salary we reasonably and in good faith believe we would pay for this role at the time of this posting. We may ultimately pay more or less than the posted range, and the range may be modified in the future. An employee’s pay position within the salary range will be based on several factors including, but not limited to, relevant education, qualifications, certifications, experience, skills, geographic location, performance, and business or organizational needs.
We offer a comprehensive package of benefits including paid time off, medical/dental/vision insurance, and 401(k) to eligible employees.
This position requires access to information protected under US export control laws, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations and/or the Export Administration Regulations. As such, US person status (including US citizens, permanent residents, asylees, and refugees) is a required qualification for this position.
Equal Opportunity Employer
We are an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, national origin, protected veteran status, disability, genetics, or citizenship status (when otherwise legally authorized to work and access export-controlled data) and will not be discriminated against on the basis of such characteristics or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. We encourage applicants of all ages.