Avionics Infrastructure Engineering Technician
El Segundo, California
Engineering – Electronic Systems /
ABL Space Systems was founded in 2017 by veterans of SpaceX and Morgan Stanley to develop low-cost launch vehicles for the small satellite industry. More importantly, we’re building a launch system we are truly proud of – no gimmicks or over-design, just reliable, rapidly deployable launches. We’re an ambitious team with big goals and, together, we’re determined to prove that reaching space can be simple, efficient, and routine.
When launch day arrives, we want you by our side
ABL’s Avionics Infrastructure Engineering Technician are critical to mission success, ensuring the equipment that validates the avionics are in tip top shape and supporting verification and validation efforts at both the box and vehicle level.
The Avionics Infrastructure Engineering Technician is responsible for keeping the test equipment that validates all aspects of the avionics system of the rocket – from flight computers, flight termination systems, vehicle harnessing, flight software, and simulation as they assist in design and support the hardware-in-the-loop (HITL) test bed ensuring they are maintained in a highly dynamic environment.
As a member of the Avionics team, they will be responsible for the maintenance of the test racks, executing testing of boxes, executing vehicle checkouts and supporting Avionics Test and Operations Engineers for vehicle tests and checkouts at the factory, test sites, and launch sites.
- Collaborate with electrical engineers to assist in the design of test racks and systems.
- Testing and troubleshooting of Avionics systems and racks to resolve technical issues.
- Perform preventative maintenance on the racks such as calibration, repair, and improvement of the system.
- Work with engineering to perform improvements on the racks to improve accuracy or quality of testing.
- Grow maintainable and extensible hardware/software solutions to electrically simulate actuators and sensors used for our vehicles (PTs, RTDs, HDRMs, LVDTs, servos, IMUs, GPS, solenoids, etc.) simply and efficiently
- Analyze and review data to verify the avionics system under test meets specifications and design requirements
- Perform avionics systems integration, checkout and troubleshooting of anomalies
- Develop, and execute system level integration tests to ensure system requirements are met
- Read, interpret, generate, and approve components test tracks and avionic boxes
- Up to 30% travel
- Associate degree (A. A.) or equivalent from two-year of accredited school in electrical discipline or related field of study and a minimum of 5 years of Electronic Technician experience; OR equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Proven history of integrating software and hardware systems
- Familiarity with Unix-like operating systems
- Experience in the use of standard electronic lab test
- Ability to troubleshoot equipment such as avionic test racks and production units
- Proficient with programming and scripting languages (C++, C, C#, Python, Lua, etc.)
- Experience writing test plans, test procedures, and verification matrixes
- Ability to demonstrate electrical engineering, digital and analog circuit fundamentals, and lab skills (ability to read schematics, understand datasheets, debug PCBs)
- Ability to perform wiring of test racks and ground support requirements
- Ability to thrive as a member of a small agile team
- Excellent written, verbal, and interpersonal communication skills
Preferred Skills and Experience
- 3+ proven years of relevant experience in a startup environment
- Experience working in hardware-in-the-loop (HITL) or system integration labs (SIL).
- Experience with test automation and automated data analysis
- Applied experience with embedded systems
- General understanding of instrumentation, interfaces, and common communication protocols including DMMs, DAQ, electronic loads, power supplies, oscilloscopes, GPIO, Serial-422, UDP, GigE, I2C, SPI
- Hands-on experience soldering or fabricating harnesses, soldering and fabrication certifications a plus
$30.40 - $45.60 an hour
The hourly rate for this role is $30.40 - $45.60. This is the lowest to highest salary we reasonably and in good faith believe we would pay for this role at the time of this posting. We may ultimately pay more or less than the posted range, and the range may be modified in the future. An employee’s pay position within the salary range will be based on several factors including, but not limited to, relevant education, qualifications, certifications, experience, skills, geographic location, performance, and business or organizational needs. This job is also eligible for bonus pay.
We offer a comprehensive package of benefits including paid time off, medical/dental/vision insurance, and 401(k) to eligible employees.
This position requires access to information protected under US export control laws, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations and/or the Export Administration Regulations. As such, US person status (including US citizens, permanent residents, asylees, and refugees) is a required qualification for this position.
Equal Opportunity Employer
We are an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, national origin, protected veteran status, disability, genetics, or citizenship status (when otherwise legally authorized to work and access export-controlled data) and will not be discriminated against on the basis of such characteristics or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. We encourage applicants of all ages.