Full Stack Software Engineer, Critical Systems
Los Angeles, California /
ABL Space Systems /
As a software engineer responsible for ABL's critical systems, you will work closely with both our Ground Operations and Flight Software teams to build applications that provide live visibility and control of ABL's mission critical operations.
From monitoring telemetry data to controlling ground equipment and initiating the launch sequence, ABL’s critical systems UI is a crucial component in enabling missions to launch rockets efficiently, and safely.
You will have full ownership of these applications and will be responsible for architecting the design and own the implementation. While you will own these projects, you will not be working on your own. As part of the internal applications team, you will collaborate closely with a team of software engineers dedicated to developing high quality internal software that will play a key role in making affordable, rapid launches a reality.
- Build mission critical, high performance monitoring and data review applications that will support engine test and launch operations
- Own the end-to-end software development cycle for your respective products
- Work directly with hardware and flight-software engineers to define project requirements
- Collaborate with internal software engineers to integrate products with ABL's other internal applications
- Bachelor's degree in computer science, math, or related technical discipline
- 3+ years professional experience building user-facing software
- Experience across the stack including backend servers, databases, and cloud infrastructure
- Demonstrated success building user-facing software to interact with live data, using technologies such as WebSockets
Preferred Skills and Experience
- Experience building data intensive client applications with high performance requirements
- Experience implementing application and infrastructure monitoring tools
- Strong understanding of computer science fundamentals
- Familiarity working with large columnar databases used for analytical applications
- Experience with WebAssembly
What We Look For
- 1. Critical thinking: ABL engineers understand the "why" behind all design decisions, operational events and test outcomes.
- 2. Ability to deal with ambiguity: there is no roadmap and ABL engineers must be comfortable defining their own pathway to an objective.
- 3. End-to-end ownership: projects are delivered fully complete and ready for flight; there is no one to pick up the slack of partially complete work.
This position requires access to information protected under US export control laws, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations and/or the Export Administration Regulations. As such, US person status (including US citizens, permanent residents, asylees, and refugees) is a required qualification for this position.
We are an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, national origin, protected veteran status, disability, genetics, or citizenship status (when otherwise legally authorized to work and access export-controlled data) and will not be discriminated against on the basis of such characteristics or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. We encourage applicants of all ages.