Los Angeles, California /
ABL Space Systems /
ABL's Turbomachinery Engineers design and operate the turbopumps that power ABL's engines, creating simple, robust machines that just work.
From mechanical design to CFD to rotordynamics, the Turbomachinery Engineer's scope is broad and multi-disciplinary. Good Turbomachinery Engineers recognize that their ownership of a product is fully inclusive - they are responsible for dreaming, designing, developing, building, qualifying, and flying their hardware.
- Take ownership of end-to-end turbopump design
- Develop preliminary 1D codes to size impellers and turbines
- Identify and trade strategies to meet design requirements and select the right approach
- Work with subject matter experts to support advanced design and analysis challenges
- Execute design work, considering manufacturing and operational constraints
- Develop, test, and qualify the product
- Develop production methodology and support initial builds
- Design and build test hardware and production tooling
- B.S. in any engineering discipline from an accredited university
- 2+ years of industry experience in a turbomachinery engineering role
Preferred Skills and Experience
- Demonstrated ability utilizing CAD design software (e.g. NX, CATIA, CREO/PRO-E)
- Demonstrated analysis capability using hand-calcs as well as finite element analysis (e.g. ANSYS, ABAQUS, NASTRAN) and computational fluid analysis (e.g. Fluent, Fine/TURBO, StarCCM+)
- Strong understanding of compressible/incompressible flow and thermodynamics, especially as they apply to centrifugal impellers and axial turbines
- Strong understanding of manufacturing processes and GD&T
- Aerospace hardware design and development
- Writing and executing test procedures for complex hardware operations
What We Look For
- 1. Critical thinking: ABL engineers understand the "why" behind all design decisions, operational events and test outcomes.
- 2. Ability to deal with ambiguity: there is no roadmap and ABL engineers must be comfortable defining their own pathway to an objective.
- 3. End-to-end ownership: projects are delivered fully complete and ready for flight; there is no one to pick up the slack of partially complete work.
This position requires access to information protected under US export control laws, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations and/or the Export Administration Regulations. As such, US person status (including US citizens, permanent residents, asylees, and refugees) is a required qualification for this position.
We are an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, national origin, protected veteran status, disability, genetics, or citizenship status (when otherwise legally authorized to work and access export-controlled data) and will not be discriminated against on the basis of such characteristics or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. We encourage applicants of all ages.