Senior DevOps Engineer
El Segundo, California /
Engineering – Application Software /
ABL Space Systems was founded in 2017 by veterans of SpaceX and Morgan Stanley to develop low-cost launch vehicles for the small satellite industry. More importantly, we’re building a launch system we are truly proud of – no gimmicks or over-design, just reliable, rapidly deployable launches. We’re an ambitious team with big goals and, together, we’re determined to prove that reaching space can be simple, efficient, and routine.
When launch day arrives, we want you by our side
Software at ABL is a bit different than at large corporations. Our engineers don't write programs to process payroll; they build tools that control mission critical operations and data flows.
As a Senior DevOps engineer, you will work with our platform team and across engineering disciplines to support the infrastructure that facilitates the end-to-end spectrum of tasks involved in building and launching rockets.
- Develop and manage CI/CD initiatives within the engineering organization
- Own projects from initial concept through development, release, maintenance, and continual improvement
- Build tooling to improve the productivity and efficiency of our software developers
- Develop automated processes to support deployment to our launch and test sites
- Work closely alongside the application software teams to build foundational infrastructure and advise on DevOps best practices
- Provide technical leadership and thoughtful mentorship to peers
- Develop and clearly communicate plans, roadmaps, designs, and architectures in the midst of complex, evolving constraints
- Produce high quality documentation to guide design and architecture
- Bachelor's degree in computer science, math, physics, engineering, or similar
- 6+ years of professional experience building and maintaining software
Preferred Skills and Experience
- Experience working with cloud-based infrastructure and Linux environments
- Experience as a technical leader in a team environment
- Strong focus on the end-user and the actual business problems
- Able to quickly evaluate, learn, and apply new technologies as appropriate
- Extensive AWS deployment experience with Terraform
- Knowledge of traditional IT operations and infrastructure management
- Deep understanding of containerization and related technologies such as Docker and Kubernetes
- Experience with both row-oriented and column-oriented databases
- Experience working with technologies that span the web stack — interactive client-side frameworks, backend servers, and databases
- Demonstrated success building and launching substantial software projects
What We Look For
- Critical thinking: ABL engineers understand the "why" behind all design decisions, operational events and test outcomes.
- Ability to deal with ambiguity: ABL engineers must be comfortable defining their own pathway to an objective.
- End-to-end ownership: projects are delivered fully complete and ready for flight; there is no one to pick up the slack of partially complete work.
$155,000 - $210,000 a year
The salary range for this role is $155,000 - $210,000. This is the lowest to highest salary we reasonably and in good faith believe we would pay for this role at the time of this posting. We may ultimately pay more or less than the posted range, and the range may be modified in the future. An employee’s pay position within the salary range will be based on several factors including, but not limited to, relevant education, qualifications, certifications, experience, skills, geographic location, performance, and business or organizational needs.
We offer a comprehensive package of benefits including paid time off, medical/dental/vision insurance, and 401(k) to eligible employees.
This position requires access to information protected under US export control laws, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations and/or the Export Administration Regulations. As such, US person status (including US citizens, permanent residents, asylees, and refugees) is a required qualification for this position.
Equal Opportunity Employer
We are an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, national origin, protected veteran status, disability, genetics, or citizenship status (when otherwise legally authorized to work and access export-controlled data) and will not be discriminated against on the basis of such characteristics or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. We encourage applicants of all ages.