Senior Project Manager
El Segundo, California /
Corporate – Sites and Developments /
ABL Space Systems was founded in 2017 by veterans of SpaceX and Morgan Stanley to develop low-cost launch vehicles for the small satellite industry. More importantly, we’re building a launch system we are truly proud of – no gimmicks or over-design, just reliable, rapidly deployable launches. We’re an ambitious team with big goals and, together, we’re determined to prove that reaching space can be simple, efficient, and routine.
When launch day arrives, we want you by our side
The Senior Project Manager will be a key member of the Site Development team who is responsible for leading site development projects from conception to reality. In this role, you will collaborate Internal and external stakeholders to successfully execute projects across of various size, scope, and complexity. The Senior Project Manager will facilitate and attend site surveys, as needed, across ABL sites as well as represent the Site Development team in company meetings relating to the design of assets and Infrastructure. You will work with a variety of external partners parties including regulators, vendors, and contractors to ensure compliance with local, state, and federal regulations. This role will require a high level of Interaction with Internal leadership as well as external stakeholders.
- Develop, lead, and maintain a comprehensive program management within the Site Development team
- Create processes, policies, and procedures to ensure adherence to local laws, EHS regulations and permitting
- Accountable for the lifecycle of projects to include but not limited to: Project intake and scoping; proposal creation; bidding and selection; project kick-off; tracking milestones through completion; process Improvement
- Review drawings released by the design team to ensure quality and compliance.
- Establish, manage, and communicate project budgets and timelines to drive completion in response to organizational needs.
- Attend and participate in design meetings, to provide thoughtful input to designers and leadership in regard to site or infrastructure design
- Collaborate and communicate with internal stakeholders (e.g., Engineering, Mission Management, Legal, Launch and Test, Regulatory, and Finance) to accurately capture requirements and facilitate programmatic plans
- Work with governing bodies to ensure permitting is completed and maintained in accordance with program timelines
- Maintain and improve organizational workflows to effectively track project status, timelines, and budgets
- Attend job walks with vendors to effectively communicate project needs and scope.
- Manage vendors and contractors including onboarding, quotes, schedules, and communications to ensure on-time and on-budget completion
- Responsible for creating as-builts with the design team to accurately reflect any changes made in the field
- Travel, as required, to support design, construction, and programmatic needs to all company sites including remote launch and test facilities
- 5 years of project management experience
- Experience writing proposals for bid to external and internal partners
- Experience with working and coordinating across multiple teams
- Has managed external vendors and tracked deliverables
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Effective communication (written, verbal)
- Ability to use survey tools to complete field measurements (tape measure, laser, etc.)
- Ability to read or produce CAD drawings
- Ability to work with constrained timelines and ambiguous instruction
- Ability to Juggle multiple projects simultaneously
- Responsible decision-making
- Emotional intelligence
- Computer proficiencies
- Experience with strategic planning, project scoping, budgeting, and scheduling for both a day-to-day tasks as well as overall strategic quarterly plans.
WHAT WE LOOK FOR:
- Critical thinking: ABL engineers understand the “why” behind all design decisions, operational events, and test outcomes.
- Ability to deal with ambiguity: ABL engineers must be comfortable defining their own pathway to an objective.
- End-to end ownership: projects are delivered fully complete and ready for flight.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS/WORK ENVIRONMENTS:
- Ability to sit or stand for extended periods of time
- Ability to use a computer to complete assignments
- Ability to communicate with individuals and groups in person, by phone and telepresence
- While performing the duties, the employee will typically work in an office environment but may be required to work in the felid to update, ore maintain drawings.
- In office 50%, in the field 50%
- Require to travel up to 25%
$115,000 - $175,000 a year
This position requires access to information protected under US export control laws, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations and/or the Export Administration Regulations. As such, US person status (including US citizens, permanent residents, asylees, and refugees) is a required qualification for this position.
Equal Opportunity Employer
We are an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, national origin, protected veteran status, disability, genetics, or citizenship status (when otherwise legally authorized to work and access export-controlled data) and will not be discriminated against on the basis of such characteristics or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. We encourage applicants of all ages.