Senior Firmware Engineer
El Segundo, California /
Engineering – Electronic Systems /
ABL Space Systems was founded in 2017 by veterans of SpaceX and Morgan Stanley to develop low-cost launch vehicles for the small satellite industry. More importantly, we’re building a launch system we are truly proud of – no gimmicks or over-design, just reliable, rapidly deployable launches. We’re an ambitious team with big goals and, together, we’re determined to prove that reaching space can be simple, efficient, and routine.
When launch day arrives, we want you by our side
ABL’s Avionics Firmware is critical to the mission success, ensuring the bridge between hardware responsible for producing thousands of pounds of thrust and software guiding the payload safely to the correct orbit operates as designed.
The Senior Firmware Egnineer is responsible for designing the software solution that provides control of all aspects of the avionics system – from flight computers, flight termination systems, vehicle harnessing, and flight software in a highly dynamic environment. Great hardware requires great firmware, and this role is responsible for designing a scalable efficient software package to deliver this solution.
- Perform and lead design, development and support of complex hardware systems for existing and new vehicle designs
- Architect and design and sustain a system of avionics firmware through deep understanding of system requirements, interface definition, verification plans, and vehicle hardware/software development
- Design maintainable and extensible hardware/software solutions to control actuators and sensors used for our vehicles (PTs, RTDs, HDRMs, LVDTs, servos, IMUs, GPS, solenoids, etc.) simply and efficiently
- Perform avionics systems integration, checkout and troubleshooting of anomalies
- B.S. degree or higher in electrical engineering, computer engineering, computer science, or related subject area.
- 7+ years of relevant experience working in software/firmwareenvironment
- Proficiency with programming and scripting languages (C++, C, C#, Python, Lua, etc.)
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- 3+ proven years of relevant experience in a startup environment
- Excellent written, verbal, and interpersonal communication skills
- Preference for and ability to thrive as a member of a small agile team
- Proven history of integrating software and hardware systems
- Familiarity with Unix-like operating systems
- Demonstrated electrical engineering, digital and analog circuit fundamentals, and lab skills (ability to read schematics, understand datasheets, debug PCBs)
- Experience with test automation and automated data analysis
- General understanding of instrumentation, interfaces, and common communication protocols including DMMs, DAQ, electronic loads, power supplies, oscilloscopes, GPIO, Serial-422, UDP, GigE, I2C, SPI
- Hands-on experience soldering or fabricating harnesses
WHAT WE LOOK FOR:
- Critical thinking: ABL engineers understand the "why" behind all design decisions, operational events and test outcomes.
- Ability to deal with ambiguity: there is no roadmap and ABL engineers must be comfortable defining their own pathway to an objective.
- End-to-end ownership: projects are delivered fully complete and ready for flight; there is no one to pick up the slack of partially complete work.
The salary range for this role is $155,000 - $210,000. This is the lowest to highest salary we reasonably and in good faith believe we would pay for this role at the time of this posting. We may ultimately pay more or less than the posted range, and the range may be modified in the future. An employee’s pay position within the salary range will be based on several factors including, but not limited to, relevant education, qualifications, certifications, experience, skills, geographic location, performance, and business or organizational needs.
We offer a comprehensive package of benefits including paid time off, medical/dental/vision insurance, and 401(k) to eligible employees.
This position requires access to information protected under US export control laws, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations and/or the Export Administration Regulations. As such, US person status (including US citizens, permanent residents, asylees, and refugees) is a required qualification for this position.
Equal Opportunity Employer
We are an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, national origin, protected veteran status, disability, genetics, or citizenship status (when otherwise legally authorized to work and access export-controlled data) and will not be discriminated against on the basis of such characteristics or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. We encourage applicants of all ages.