Director, Manufacturing Engineering
El Segundo, California /
Manufacturing – Manufacturing /
ABL Space Systems was founded in 2017 by veterans of SpaceX and Morgan Stanley to develop low-cost launch vehicles for the small satellite industry. More importantly, we’re building a launch system we are truly proud of – no gimmicks or over-design, just reliable, rapidly deployable launches. We’re an ambitious team with big goals and, together, we’re determined to prove that reaching space can be simple, efficient, and routine.
When launch day arrives, we want you by our side
As the Director, Manufacturing Engineering, you will be responsible for leading the ME team and for ensuring the success of manufacturing and test of vehicle and ground structures hardware by taking a hands-on approach to solve complex engineering challenges. You will work closely with design engineering, launch teams and other production departments to establish scalable processes and procedures to rapidly deliver high quality hardware.
The Director, Manufacturing Engineering is responsible for the on-time delivery of quality vehicle and ground components and sub-assemblies.
- Build a high functioning team that leads the resolution of build issues and non-conformances, creates comprehensive work instructions, develops new processes and delivers quality hardware
- Manage the transition of parts and assemblies from development to high-rate production
- Provide manufacturing expertise during design reviews and interfacing with vendors, leading design for manufacturing efforts to develop efficient and scalable processes
- Establish vendor relations and assess technical competency to ensure a high-quality supply chain
- Support the development, qualification, and acceptance testing of hardware
- Collaborate with production and engineering teams to manage priorities to support critical path and schedule
- Become the technical expert of assigned shops and mentor team members
- Bachelor's or advanced degree in aerospace engineering, manufacturing engineering, mechanical engineering, or similar degree from accredited university
- Experience building complex mechanical systems
- 7+ years of professional engineering experience
- 5+ years of experience leading engineering teams in a production environment
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- 2+ years of professional experience in the field of aerospace/mechanical engineering
- Experience integrating and designing components/assemblies using NX and Teamcenter
- 2+ years creating and interpreting engineering drawings with GD&T
- Dedicated leader and team player who’s excited about ABL’s mission!
WHAT WE LOOK FOR:
- Critical thinking: ABL engineers understand the “why” behind all design decisions, operational events and test outcomes
- Ability to deal with ambiguity: ABL engineers must be comfortable defining their own pathway to an objective
- End-to end ownership: projects are delivered fully complete and ready for flight
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS/WORK ENVIRONMENTS:
- Travel between sites may be required
- Ability to sit or stand for extended periods of time
- Ability to use a computer to complete assignments
- Ability to communicate with individuals and groups in person, by phone and telepresence
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee will typically work in an office environment
This position requires access to information protected under US export control laws, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations and/or the Export Administration Regulations. As such, US person status (including US citizens, permanent residents, asylees, and refugees) is a required qualification for this position.
Equal Opportunity Employer
We are an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, national origin, protected veteran status, disability, genetics, or citizenship status (when otherwise legally authorized to work and access export-controlled data) and will not be discriminated against on the basis of such characteristics or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. We encourage applicants of all ages.