Avionics Test Software Architect
El Segundo, California /
Engineering – Electronic Systems /
ABL Space Systems was founded in 2017 by veterans of SpaceX and Morgan Stanley to develop low-cost launch vehicles for the small satellite industry. More importantly, we’re building a launch system we are truly proud of – no gimmicks or over-design, just reliable, rapidly deployable launches. We’re an ambitious team with big goals and, together, we’re determined to prove that reaching space can be simple, efficient, and routine.
When launch day arrives, we want you by our side
ABL’s Avionics Test Software is critical to the mission success, ensuring the bridge between hardware responsible for producing thousands of pounds of thrust and software guiding the payload safely to the correct orbit operates as designed.
The Avionics Test Software Architect is responsible for designing the software solution that provides validation of all aspects of the avionics system – from flight computers, flight termination systems, vehicle harnessing, flight software, and simulation as they design and support hardware-in-the-loop (HITL) test beds and unit level test equipment in a highly dynamic environment. Great hardware requires great test software, and this role is responsible for designing a scalable efficient software package to deliver this solution.
- Perform and lead design, development and support of complex hardware-in-the-loop systems for existing and new vehicle designs
- Architect and design and sustain a system of integration beds through deep understanding of system requirements, interface definition, verification plans, and vehicle hardware/software development
- Design maintainable and extensible hardware/software solutions to electrically simulate actuators and sensors used for our vehicles (PTs, RTDs, HDRMs, LVDTs, servos, IMUs, GPS, solenoids, etc.) simply and efficiently
- Develop integrated system tests to enhance cross discipline operator training and flight software verification/validation through design of component simulation systems, harnessing, fault injection mechanisms, and automated data analysis tooling
- Analyze and review data to verify the avionics system under test meets specifications and design requirements
- Perform avionics systems integration, checkout and troubleshooting of anomalies
- Plan, develop, and execute system level integration tests to ensure system requirements are met
- Write, review, and maintain test and verification plans by partnering closely with stakeholders from Avionics, GNC, Vehicle, and Propulsion teams
- Automate data collection, review, and maintain system integration test artifacts for gated reviews (PDR, CDR, TRR)
- 30% travel
- B.S. degree or higher in electrical engineering, computer engineering, computer science, or related subject area.
- 7+ years of work experience
- 5+ years of relevant experience working in a hardware test and validation environment.
- Experience in the use of standard electronic lab test and troubleshooting equipment.
- Experience with programming and scripting languages (C++, C, C#, Python, Lua, etc.)
- Excellent written, verbal, and interpersonal communication skills
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- 3+ proven years of relevant experience in a startup environment
- Experience working in hardware-in-the-loop (HITL) or system integration labs (SIL).
- Proven history of integrating software and hardware systems
- Familiarity with Unix-like operating systems
- Demonstrated electrical engineering, digital and analog circuit fundamentals, and lab skills (ability to read schematics, understand datasheets, debug PCBs)
- Experience with test automation and automated data analysis
- General understanding of instrumentation, interfaces, and common communication protocols including DMMs, DAQ, electronic loads, power supplies, oscilloscopes, GPIO, Serial-422, UDP, GigE, I2C, SPI
- Hands-on experience soldering or fabricating harnesses
- Experience writing test plans, test procedures, and verification matrixes
- Preference for and ability to thrive as a member of a small agile team
$155,000 - $210,000 a year
The salary range for this role is $155,000 - $210,000. This is the lowest to highest salary we reasonably and in good faith believe we would pay for this role at the time of this posting. We may ultimately pay more or less than the posted range, and the range may be modified in the future. An employee’s pay position within the salary range will be based on several factors including, but not limited to, relevant education, qualifications, certifications, experience, skills, geographic location, performance, and business or organizational needs.
We offer a comprehensive package of benefits including paid time off, medical/dental/vision insurance, and 401(k) to eligible employees.
This position requires access to information protected under US export control laws, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations and/or the Export Administration Regulations. As such, US person status (including US citizens, permanent residents, asylees, and refugees) is a required qualification for this position.
Equal Opportunity Employer
We are an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, national origin, protected veteran status, disability, genetics, or citizenship status (when otherwise legally authorized to work and access export-controlled data) and will not be discriminated against on the basis of such characteristics or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. We encourage applicants of all ages.