Structures Test Engineer
El Segundo, California /
Engineering – Hardware Engineering /
ABL Space Systems was founded in 2017 by veterans of SpaceX and Morgan Stanley to develop low-cost launch vehicles for the small satellite industry. More importantly, we’re building a launch system we are truly proud of – no gimmicks or over-design, just reliable, rapidly deployable launches. We’re an ambitious team with big goals and, together, we’re determined to prove that reaching space can be simple, efficient, and routine.
When launch day arrives, we want you by our side
Structures Test Engineer
As a structures Test Engineer, you will lead development, qualification, and acceptance testing on primary and secondary structures of the RS1 launch vehicle and future development projects. This role will include designing, building, and operating large-scale structural test stands at ABL, in a small team environment, working closely with mechanical and electrical engineers to develop scalable testing solutions that enable development and ATP testing of critical structures hardware. This role is for a hands-on person with great attention to detail and excellent people skills.
This is a role that contributes to every mission and every flight we fly as we continue to reimagine the future of space launches.
- Work with component responsible engineers to gather test requirements, to ensure testing will validate design requirements. Lead planning, documentation, and execution of test campaigns.
- Design test stands and fixtures including their mechanical, fluid, and electrical components. Perform all necessary design, analysis, and project management to execute tests with minimal support
- Setup and operate data acquisition equipment to measure and record test parameters (strain gages, pressure transducers, accelerometers etc.)
- Produce professional and traceable test plans, procedures, and reports – including mechanical and fluid schematics of the test systems
- Interface with technicians to coordinate mechanical test logistics, support, and requirements
- Mentor other engineers and technicians on the team
- Bachelor’s Degree in Mechanical, Aerospace, Robotics Engineering, or similar field.
- Minimum 5 years of experience working in space, aerospace, or equivalent professional environments with direct hands-on experience performing test on mechanical systems
- Experience planning and executing test engineering operations in a time-sensitive and high-risk environment. Including recovery from off-nominal conditions
- Experience in structural design, analysis, build and integration of test stands
- Experience designing and operating closed-loop control hydraulic and pneumatic systems
- Experience working across engineering groups to define requirements and implement solutions
- Experience with instrumentation systems
- Experience with NX or other CAD system
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- M.S. from an accredited university in engineering or science
- Experience working with high-pressure gas systems
- Ability to size fluid components based on flow, pressure, and thermal requirements
- Experience working with cryogenic systems
- Experience with Teamcenter or other PLM system
- Knowledge and understanding of mechanical vibration test
WHAT WE LOOK FOR
- Critical thinking: ABL engineers understand the “why” behind all design decisions, operational events and test outcomes
- Ability to deal with ambiguity: ABL engineers must be comfortable defining their own pathway to an objective
- End-to-end ownership
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS/WORK ENVIRONMENTS:
- Ability to sit or stand for extended periods of time
- Ability to use a computer to complete assignments
- Ability to communicate with individuals and groups in person, by phone and telepresence
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee will typically work in an office environment
- Must be able to stoop, bend, crawl, and able to maneuver in tight spaces
- Physically able to handle items weighing up to 25lbs (unassisted)
The salary range for this role is $75,000-$130,000. This is the lowest to highest salary we reasonably and in good faith believe we would pay for this role at the time of this posting. We may ultimately pay more or less than the posted range, and the range may be modified in the future. An employee’s pay position within the salary range will be based on several factors including, but not limited to, relevant education, qualifications, certifications, experience, skills, geographic location, performance, and business or organizational needs.
We offer a comprehensive package of benefits including paid time off, medical/dental/vision insurance, and 401(k) to eligible employees.
This position requires access to information protected under US export control laws, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations and/or the Export Administration Regulations. As such, US person status (including US citizens, permanent residents, asylees, and refugees) is a required qualification for this position.
Equal Opportunity Employer
We are an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, national origin, protected veteran status, disability, genetics, or citizenship status (when otherwise legally authorized to work and access export-controlled data) and will not be discriminated against on the basis of such characteristics or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. We encourage applicants of all ages.