Fluid Systems Engineer, R&D
Los Angeles, California /
ABL Space Systems /
We build rockets to launch small satellites
ABL Space Systems (ABL) was founded in 2017, by veterans of SpaceX and Morgan Stanley, to develop low-cost launch vehicles for the small satellite industry. ABL is headquartered in El Segundo, California, where it has more than 30,000 square feet of facilities for research, development, and production. ABL is a privately-owned corporation backed by a premier group of investors.
We are a tight team with big goals. That means we need all hands on deck. At ABL, every person takes ownership of their work, and understands how it impacts our mission. Accessing space doesn’t need to be expensive, complicated, or difficult, and we’re building the systems, CONOPS, and organization to prove it. Our team has come together to pursue mastery of our domains and build something bigger than ourselves. We are proud to serve the people pushing the frontiers of space technology. Our goals are ambitious. The work is challenging. We take a deep personal responsibility for everything we make. Driven by great people and greater talent, ABL is reimagining the next generation of space launches.
When launch day arrives, we want you by our side
FLUID SYSTEMS ENGINEER, R&D
As an R&D Fluid Systems Engineer, you will be responsible for wide range of fluids engineering tasks projects from development of requirements through-to delivery of functioning systems. ABL R&D Engineers pride themselves in developing min-viable control systems built on proven and predictable technologies that simultaneously meet core business level requirements.
- Develop first order fluid system pressure and flow requirements
- Perform cost, safety, reliability, and manufacturability trades
- Develop system schematics derived from requirement sets
- 3D design of various systems - including CAD, GD&T, and associated planning
- In-field test and diagnostics of associated systems
- Strong desire to dive into new fields with little to no prior experience
- Strong understanding of devising first-order theoretical models to physical phenomenon
- Comfortable developing optimization strategies, defining constraints, and iterating across large data sets
- Demonstrated fluency in Microsoft Excel
- 2+ years of industry experience in a development, integration & test, or design role
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Understanding of both thermodynamics and fluid mechanics
- Understanding of pressure vessel design and related hazards
- Understanding of electromechanical control systems and control techniques
- Familiar with 3D CAD, GD&T, FEA
- Hands on fabrication or build experience such as welding, cutting, milling or turning
- Programming experience with Python, Matlab or similar
WHAT WE LOOK FOR
- Critical thinking: ABL engineers understand the “why” behind all design decisions, operational events and test outcomes
- Ability to deal with ambiguity: ABL engineers must be comfortable defining their own pathway to an objective
- End-to end ownership: projects are delivered fully complete and ready for flight
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS/WORK ENVIRONMENTS:
- Ability to sit or stand for extended periods of time
- Ability to use a computer to complete assignments
- Ability to communicate with individuals and groups in person, by phone and telepresence
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee will typically work in an office environment
To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) you must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER:
ABL Space Systems is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with ABL Space Systems is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.