Sr. Propulsion Engineer
El Segundo, California /
Engineering – Propulsion /
ABL Space Systems was founded in 2017 by veterans of SpaceX and Morgan Stanley to develop low-cost launch vehicles for the small satellite industry. More importantly, we’re building a launch system we are truly proud of – no gimmicks or over-design, just reliable, rapidly deployable launches. We’re an ambitious team with big goals and, together, we’re determined to prove that reaching space can be simple, efficient, and routine.
When launch day arrives, we want you by our side
ABL’s Engine Responsible Engineer team is responsible for successful performance of all ABL rocket engines. A Senior Propulsion Engineer on the Engine RE team is responsible for planning and execution of engine testing at ABL, from formulating initial test plans, to making Go/No-Go calls on console for engine hot-fires, performing data reviews, and leading anomaly investigations.
As aSeniorPropulsion Engineer, on the Engine RE team you will work closely with the Launch & Test team and the Test Technician team to drive integration and test schedules that quickly buy down risk on ABL’s engine systems across development, qualification, and acceptance testing. You will own and maintain engine system schematics, balances, and sequences, and make decisions quickly and effectively. You’ll get your hands dirty performing hardware walk-downs and will work closely with technicians to make changes to the hardware configuration. You will be responsible for increasing test cadence through automation and strategic scope reduction.
Engineers on the Engine RE team are highly motivated, proactive individuals who hold the highest level of accountability and drive a fast-paced environment at ABL’s test sites.
- Plan, lead and own complex test campaigns with little oversight
- Lead post-test data review, working closely with component owners to inform engine performance
- Use the engine balance to predict and analyze engine performance
- Own all hardware documentation and procedures
- Work with test technicians to integrate test articles, update and maintain hardware configuration
- Author and maintain automated test sequences
- Design and build test stands
- Monitor live test data on-console to evaluate engine health during test operations
- Disseminate learnings from testing to drive upgrades to components or stage
- B.S. in any engineering discipline from an accredited university
- 7+ years of industry experience in a propulsion test or analysis role
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- In-depth understanding of compressible/incompressible flow and thermodynamics
- Experience writing and executing test procedures and/or autosequences for complex hardware operations
- Pump-fed liquid rocket engine test data analysis
- 1-D fluid simulation or engine balance tools (ROCETS, GFSSP, AMESIM etc)
- Strong technical writing and communication skills with experience writing test plans and executing readiness reviews
- Ability to program scripts in Python
WHAT WE LOOK FOR:
- Critical thinking: ABL engineers understand the “why” behind all design decisions, operational events and test outcomes
- Ability to deal with ambiguity: ABL engineers must be comfortable defining their own pathway to an objective
- End-to end ownership: projects are delivered fully complete and ready for flight
- The Propulsion Engineer, Engine Test must be willing to travel to launch and test sites to support integration and test work
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS/WORK ENVIRONMENTS:
- Ability to sit or stand for extended periods of time
- Ability to use a computer to complete assignments
- Ability to communicate with individuals and groups in person, by phone and telepresence
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee will typically work in an office environment
$145,000 - $210,000 a year
The salary range for this role is $145,000-$210,000. This is the lowest to highest salary we reasonably and in good faith believe we would pay for this role at the time of this posting. We may ultimately pay more or less than the posted range, and the range may be modified in the future. An employee’s pay position within the salary range will be based on several factors including, but not limited to, relevant education, qualifications, certifications, experience, skills, geographic location, performance, and business or organizational needs.
We offer a comprehensive package of benefits including paid time off, medical/dental/vision insurance, and 401(k) to eligible employees.
This position requires access to information protected under US export control laws, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations and/or the Export Administration Regulations. As such, US person status (including US citizens, permanent residents, asylees, and refugees) is a required qualification for this position.
Equal Opportunity Employer
We are an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, national origin, protected veteran status, disability, genetics, or citizenship status (when otherwise legally authorized to work and access export-controlled data) and will not be discriminated against on the basis of such characteristics or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. We encourage applicants of all ages.