Structures R&D Engineer
Los Angeles, California /
ABL Space Systems /
As a Structures R&D Engineer at ABL, you turn conceptual ideas into robust rocket parts that will fly to space. You will be part of the ABL product development team, and collaborate with internal and external manufacturing and test teams to develop complex spaceflight structures.
- Turn CAD designs into physical, reliable, launchable spaceflight hardware
- Develop and implement repeatable forming, machining, and welding processes
- Advise design and analysis engineers on designing for manufacturability for rapid prototyping
- Design and develop tooling, fixtures, jigs, and test equipment
- Run development, qualification and acceptance test campaigns
- Set up internal and external manufacturing teams for success by developing robust procurement, build, inspection, and acceptance processes and procedures
- BS in engineering or physics
- Hands-on welding/machining/forming/assembly experience
- Experience in taking a product through a full development cycle from concept to delivery
Preferred Skills and Experience:
- 2+ years of product lifecycle development experience
- Extracurricular and/or project experience, such as rocketry, FSAE, Baja SAE, car restoration, robotics, etc.
- Design and build experience creating metallic structures using forming, machining, and welding processes
What We Look For
- 1. Critical thinking: ABL engineers understand the "why" behind all design decisions, operational events and test outcomes.
- 2. Curiosity: ABL engineers aren't expected to follow a list of tasks. They're expected to think of the problems they are solving in new, unique ways that improve quality, efficiency, and economics.
- 3. Effective communication skills: Emails, meetings, presentations, and documentation must be neat, clear, and concise.
- 4. End-to-end ownership: Projects are delivered fully complete and ready for flight; there is no one to pick up the slack of partially complete work.
This position requires access to information protected under US export control laws, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations and/or the Export Administration Regulations. As such, US person status (including US citizens, permanent residents, asylees, and refugees) is a required qualification for this position.
We are an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, national origin, protected veteran status, disability, genetics, or citizenship status (when otherwise legally authorized to work and access export-controlled data) and will not be discriminated against on the basis of such characteristics or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. We encourage applicants of all ages.