Deployable Launch Systems Engineer
Los Angeles, California /
ABL Space Systems /
ABL's Deployable Launch Systems Engineers (DLSE) know the rocket only gets safely off the ground if the launch pad works flawlessly every operation.
DLSEs design the ground systems that service vehicle from stage mate, through functional checkouts and ultimately to T0 on launch day. There is a strategic element of design in creating the ground systems to ensure longevity; it is this ability to understand system operations many rockets into the future that defines a successful DLSE. The team has a broad scope including mechanical, fluid and electronic systems, but individuals generally have an area of specialization. DLSEs are comfortable with heavy machinery, but have the finesse to handle delicate and precise parts.
- Work with vehicle engineers to define and document the requirements for the launch mechanical, fluid and electrical systems
- Design ground support equipment to handle and service the vehicle. Examples include transporters to move the vehicle, complete fluid systems to load propellant and gases and electrical systems to charge batteries and calibrate vehicle equipment
- Build the ground support equipment, utilizing external contractors and ABL's in-house technician team
- Write and execute procedures to activate the equipment
- Define a preventative maintenance schedule to ensure equipment readiness
- Monitor and support during launch operations
- B.S. in any engineering discipline from an accredited university
- 2+ years of industry experience in a production, integration & test, or design role
- Hands-on extracurricular projects or internships/co-ops
One of the following experience bases:
Preferred Skills and Experience
- Experience working with large industrial machinery, large process plant fluid systems or enterprise electrical systems
- Experience testing and activating large systems such as ships, power plants or refineries
- Technical writing and communication including operational procedures and readiness reviews
- Ability to program scripts in Python or MATLAB
- Writing and executing test procedures for complex hardware operations
What We Look For
- 1. Critical thinking: ABL engineers understand the "why" behind all design decisions, operational events and test outcomes.
- 2. Ability to deal with ambiguity: there is no roadmap and ABL engineers must be comfortable defining their own pathway to an objective.
- 3. End-to-end ownership: projects are delivered fully complete and ready for flight; there is no one to pick up the slack of partially complete work.
The Deployable Launch Systems Engineer must be willing to travel to launch and test sites to support integration and test work, especially on first-article products.
This position requires access to information protected under US export control laws, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations and/or the Export Administration Regulations. As such, US person status (including US citizens, permanent residents, asylees, and refugees) is a required qualification for this position.
We are an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, national origin, protected veteran status, disability, genetics, or citizenship status (when otherwise legally authorized to work and access export-controlled data) and will not be discriminated against on the basis of such characteristics or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. We encourage applicants of all ages.