Senior Thermal Engineer
El Segundo, California
Engineering – GNC & Flight Sciences /
ABL Space Systems was founded in 2017 by veterans of SpaceX and Morgan Stanley to develop low-cost launch vehicles for the small satellite industry. More importantly, we’re building a launch system we are truly proud of – no gimmicks or over-design, just reliable, rapidly deployable launches. We’re an ambitious team with big goals and, together, we’re determined to prove that reaching space can be simple, efficient, and routine.
When launch day arrives, we want you by our side
Senior Thermal Engineer
As a Senior thermal engineer, you will be responsible for the thermal analysis, design, and validation of various systems and components for the RS1 vehicle and beyond. You will be determining thermal environments for avionics components to recommend cooling solutions, recommending aft end insulation, determining payload thermal environments, and generally determining areas for thermal concerns on RS1. You will also be using flight data to anchor models and iterate on the design.
You will be working closely with all engineering and business development teams with short turn analysis times, so a willingness to efficiently solve cross-disciplinary problems is a must. This is a role that contributes to every mission and every flight we fly as we continue to reimagine the future of space launches.
- Be the subject matter expert for thermal analysis for RS1 launch vehicle and future vehicles
- Work closely with external team gathering detailed inputs and deliver temperature predictions for flight components across the vehicle
- Understand and identify impactful thermal problems and recommend thoughtful solutions
- Design, instrument, and perform thermal testing to gain critical insights to the behavior of the launch vehicle
- Analyze operations and flight data to continually improve accuracy of thermal predictions
- 4+ years experience in thermal analysis for launch vehicles or similar systems
- B.S. from an accredited university in physics or engineering
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- 6+ years of experience in thermal analysis for launch vehicles or similar systems
- Competency using Matlab and/or Python
- Experience with Thermal Desktop or similar modeling tool
- Ability to determine sufficient fidelity needed for analysis to quickly obtain results
WHAT WE LOOK FOR:
- Critical thinking: ABL engineers understand the “why” behind all design decisions, operational events and test outcomes
- Ability to deal with ambiguity: ABL engineers must be comfortable defining their own pathway to an objective
- End-to end ownership: projects are delivered fully complete and ready for flight
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS/WORK ENVIRONMENTS:
- Ability to sit or stand for extended periods of time
- Ability to use a computer to complete assignments
- Ability to communicate with individuals and groups in person, by phone and telepresence
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee will typically work in an office environment
$145,000 - $210,000 a year
The salary range for this role is $145,000 - $210,000. This is the lowest to highest salary we reasonably and in good faith believe we would pay for this role at the time of this posting. We may ultimately pay more or less than the posted range, and the range may bemodified in the future. An employee’s pay position within the salary range will be based on several factors including, but not limited to, relevant education, qualifications, certifications, experience, skills, geographic location, performance, and business or organizational needs.
We offer a comprehensive package of benefits including paid time off, medical/dental/vision insurance, and 401(k) to eligible employees.
This position requires access to information protected under US export control laws, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations and/or the Export Administration Regulations. As such, US person status (including US citizens, permanent residents, asylees, and refugees) is a required qualification for this position.
Equal Opportunity Employer
We are an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, national origin, protected veteran status, disability, genetics, or citizenship status (when otherwise legally authorized to work and access export-controlled data) and will not be discriminated against on the basis of such characteristics or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. We encourage applicants of all ages.