Sr. Structures Design Engineer
El Segundo, California
Engineering – Hardware Engineering /
ABL Space Systems was founded in 2017 by veterans of SpaceX and Morgan Stanley to develop low-cost launch vehicles for the small satellite industry. More importantly, we’re building a launch system we are truly proud of – no gimmicks or over-design, just reliable, rapidly deployable launches. We’re an ambitious team with big goals and, together, we’re determined to prove that reaching space can be simple, efficient, and routine.
When launch day arrives, we want you by our side
As a Senior Structures Design Engineer at ABL, you will take complete ownership of major vehicle assemblies, to drive the design and development of primary and secondary vehicle structures. You will use a strong design, analysis, and hands-on engineering skillset to develop complex designs from a clean sheet through to integration onto the flight vehicle. You are a well-rounded engineer who enjoys working across a range of technical disciplines, completing detailed analysis one minute and resolving complex manufacturing challenges the next. You enjoy working closely with other engineers and production technicians to develop structural hardware, conceptualize fixtures/tooling and work with build engineers to develop new manufacturing processes to rapidly deliver high-quality structures hardware.
- Take full ownership for the design and development of vehicle structures and mechanisms
- Responsible for all aspects of assigned mechanical project/product lifecycle: gathering requirements, conceptual design, material and vendor selection, analysis (hand calculations and FEA), CAD/drawing generation, manufacturing, testing, and integration
- Create and present internal and external facing technical documentation that clearly conveys design intent, structural capability, and adherence to standards, requirements, and specifications, to support internal reviews and flight license approval
- Collaborate with internal manufacturing teams to support the development of internal standard manufacturing/integration processes (welding, fabrication, inspection, etc.) that comply with ABL, Test Site and Range requirements
- Manage the project’s schedule, compliance with internal and external requirements, budget, milestones, and track status
- Mentor other engineers and technicians on the team
- Bachelor’s Degree in Mechanical, Aerospace, Civil or similar field.
- Minimum 5 years of experience working in space, aerospace, or equivalent professional environments with direct hands-on experience developing complex mechanical systems
- Experience in detailed structural design, structural analysis, build and integration of aerospace structures
- Experience working across engineering groups to define requirements and implement solutions
- Experience with NX or equivalent CAD software
- Experience with FEMAP/NASTRAN, Abaqus, ANSYS, or similar FEA software
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- M.S. from an accredited university in engineering or science
- Experience designing mass efficient metallic structures, and structures mechanisms
- Strong practical knowledge of GD&T
- Working knowledge of aerospace vehicle loads development
- Experience designing and supporting manufacture of large weld assemblies
- Practical experience with prototyping/manufacturing methods including machining, welding and metal forming processes
- Experience with Teamcenter or other PLM system
WHAT WE LOOK FOR:
- Critical thinking: ABL engineers understand the “why” behind all design decisions, operational events and test outcomes
- Ability to deal with ambiguity: ABL engineers must be comfortable defining their own pathway to an objective
- End-to-end ownership
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS/WORK ENVIRONMENTS:
- Ability to sit or stand for extended periods of time
- Ability to use a computer to complete assignments
- Ability to communicate with individuals and groups in person, by phone and telepresence
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee will typically work in an office environment
- Must be able to stoop, bend, crawl, and able to maneuver in tight spaces
- Physically able to handle items weighing up to 25lbs (unassisted)
$145,000 - $210,000 a year
The salary range for this role is $145,000-$210,000. This is the lowest to highest salary we reasonably and in good faith believe we would pay for this role at the time of this posting. We may ultimately pay more or less than the posted range, and the range may be modified in the future. An employee’s pay position within the salary range will be based on several factors including, but not limited to, relevant education, qualifications, certifications, experience, skills, geographic location, performance, and business or organizational needs.
We offer a comprehensive package of benefits including paid time off, medical/dental/vision insurance, and 401(k) to eligible employees.
This position requires access to information protected under US export control laws, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations and/or the Export Administration Regulations. As such, US person status (including US citizens, permanent residents, asylees, and refugees) is a required qualification for this position.
Equal Opportunity Employer
We are an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, national origin, protected veteran status, disability, genetics, or citizenship status (when otherwise legally authorized to work and access export-controlled data) and will not be discriminated against on the basis of such characteristics or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. We encourage applicants of all ages.