Propulsion Manufacturing Engineer
El Segundo, California
Manufacturing – Manufacturing /
ABL Space Systems was founded in 2017 by veterans of SpaceX and Morgan Stanley to develop low-cost launch vehicles for the small satellite industry. More importantly, we’re building a launch system we are truly proud of – no gimmicks or over-design, just reliable, rapidly deployable launches. We’re an ambitious team with big goals and, together, we’re determined to prove that reaching space can be simple, efficient, and routine.
When launch day arrives, we want you by our side
Propulsion Manufacturing Engineer
As a Propulsion Manufacturing Engineer at ABL, you will be responsible for the end-to-end production of liquid rocket engine components and assemblies. This role will work closely with design engineers, external suppliers, and production technicians to develop propulsion hardware, design fixtures/tooling, develop new manufacturing processes and drive manufacturing capability to rapidly deliver high quality propulsion hardware. The Propulsion Manufacturing Engineer is ultimately responsible for the on-time delivery of thrust chamber assemblies, turbopumps, gas generators, propellant valves, and other critical components that meet design and quality standards.
- Work with the propulsion design engineers concurrently during the component design process to ensure ease of manufacturability and develop highly efficient manufacturing processes
- Design tooling/fixture to support manufacturing, integration, and test, from concept through to implementation
- Define build and integration workflow through shop floor layout and work order development
- Take a lead role in resolving build issues and non-conformances that arise during the build process.
- Develop production procedures/processes to manage the transition of parts and assemblies from development to high-rate production
- Provide manufacturing expertise during design reviews and interfacing with vendors
- Develop vendor relations and assess technical competency to ensure a high-quality supply chain
- Bachelor's degree in aerospace engineering, manufacturing engineering, material science, mechanical engineering, or similar degree with 2+ years of relevant experience
- Direct experience with manufacturing processes, such as: CNC turning and milling, TIG, MIG, Electron Beam, and orbital tube welding, heat treatment, and/or additive manufacturing
- Experience building complex components and assemblies
- Experience with CAD & PLM systems
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Experience developing new manufacturing processes from concept to scaled production
- Highly organized approach to managing production demand for on-time delivery
- Experience with NX, CAD, and Teamcenter PLM
- Experience with quality inspection techniques, such as: Die Penetrant inspection, UT or RT volumetric inspection, and/or CMM or blue light inspection
- Experience pneumatic, hydroproof, and leak check testing
- Familiarity with liquid rocket engine component manufacturing techniques
- Ability to cultivate strong interpersonal relationships with engineers, technicians, and external vendors for efficient and rapid production of high-quality components
- Strong communication skills with proficiency in authoring fabrication, assembly, and test procedures
- Proficiency in Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing (GD&T) and assembly tolerancing stack-up
- Dedicated team player who’s excited about ABL’s first launch vehicle!
WHAT WE LOOK FOR
- Critical thinking: ABL engineers understand the “why” behind all design decisions, operational events and test outcomes
- Ability to deal with ambiguity: ABL engineers must be comfortable defining their own pathway to an objective
- End-to end ownership: projects are delivered fully complete and ready for flight
The salary range for this role is $75,000 - $130,000. This is the lowest to highest salary we reasonably and in good faith believe we would pay for this role at the time of this posting. We may ultimately pay more or less than the posted range, and the range may be modified in the future. An employee’s pay position within the salary range will be based on several factors including, but not limited to, relevant education, qualifications, certifications, experience, skills, geographic location, performance, and business or organizational needs. This job is also eligible for bonus pay.
We offer a comprehensive package of benefits including paid time off, medical/dental/vision insurance, and 401(k) to eligible employees.
This position requires access to information protected under US export control laws, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations and/or the Export Administration Regulations. As such, US person status (including US citizens, permanent residents, asylees, and refugees) is a required qualification for this position.
Equal Opportunity Employer
We are an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, national origin, protected veteran status, disability, genetics, or citizenship status (when otherwise legally authorized to work and access export-controlled data) and will not be discriminated against on the basis of such characteristics or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. We encourage applicants of all ages.