Structures Manufacturing Engineer
Los Angeles, California /
Manufacturing – Manufacturing /
ABL Space Systems was founded in 2017 by veterans of SpaceX and Morgan Stanley to develop low-cost launch vehicles for the small satellite industry. More importantly, we’re building a launch system we are truly proud of – no gimmicks or over-design, just reliable, rapidly deployable launches. We’re an ambitious team with big goals and, together, we’re determined to prove that reaching space can be simple, efficient, and routine.
When launch day arrives, we want you by our side
As a Structures Manufacturing Engineer, you will be responsible for ensuring the success of manufacturing, assembly and test of vehicle and ground structures hardware by taking a hands-on approach to solve complex engineering challenges. This includes supporting design engineering, production and launch teams to develop build plans and drive processes to rapidly deliver high quality structures. The Structures Manufacturing Engineer is responsible for the on-time delivery of quality vehicle and ground hardware structures.
- Develop and own production procedures and processes to manage the transition of parts and assemblies from development to high-rate production
- Lead resolution of build issues and non-conformances that arise during the manufacturing process of structures parts
- Coordinate with the design engineers during the hardware design process to ensure manufacturability and to develop highly efficient manufacturing processes
- Support the development, qualification, and acceptance testing of hardware
- Provide manufacturing expertise during design reviews and interfacing with vendors
- Manage vendor relations and assess technical competency to ensure a high-quality supply chain
- Work closely with production team to manage priorities to support critical path and schedule
- Become the technical expert of assigned structures builds
- Bachelor's or advanced degree in aerospace engineering, manufacturing engineering, mechanical engineering, or similar degree from accredited university
- Experience building complex mechanical systems
- 1+ years of professional engineering experience
Preferred Skills and Experience:
- 2+ years of professional experience in the field of aerospace/mechanical engineering
- Experience interrogating and designing components/assemblies using NX and Teamcenter
- 2+ years creating and interpreting engineering drawings with GD&T
- Experience designing or building structures in a fast-paced environment
- Dedicated team player who’s excited about ABL’s mission!
What We Look For
- Critical thinking: ABL engineers understand the "why" behind all design decisions, operational events and test outcomes.
- Ability to deal with ambiguity: there is no roadmap and ABL engineers must be comfortable defining their own pathway to an objective.
- End-to-end ownership: projects are delivered fully complete and ready for flight; there is no one to pick up the slack of partially complete work.
The salary range for this role is $75,000-$130,000. This is the lowest to highest salary we reasonably and in good faith believe we would pay for this role at the time of this posting. We may ultimately pay more or less than the posted range, and the range may be modified in the future. An employee’s pay position within the salary range will be based on several factors including, but not limited to, relevant education, qualifications, certifications, experience, skills, geographic location, performance, and business or organizational needs.
We offer a comprehensive package of benefits including paid time off, medical/dental/vision insurance, and 401(k) to eligible employees.
This position requires access to information protected under US export control laws, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations and/or the Export Administration Regulations. As such, US person status (including US citizens, permanent residents, asylees, and refugees) is a required qualification for this position.
Equal Opportunity Employer
We are an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, national origin, protected veteran status, disability, genetics, or citizenship status (when otherwise legally authorized to work and access export-controlled data) and will not be discriminated against on the basis of such characteristics or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. We encourage applicants of all ages.