Structures Build Engineer
Los Angeles, California /
ABL Space Systems /
As the Structures Build Engineer at ABL, you will be responsible for ensuring the success of manufacturing, integration and test on vehicle and ground structures hardware, by taking a hands-on, problem solving approach to complex engineering challenges. This role will work closely with design engineers and production technicians to develop structural hardware, design fixtures/tooling, develop new manufacturing processes and drive manufacturing rapidly deliver high quality structures hardware.
During the integration process the build engineer will work with technicians to define and document build process, and drive improvement in the process. As a build engineer you will split your time between the office, shop floor and vendor facilities, to ensure part quality throughout the manufacturing process.
- Work with the structures design engineers concurrently during the hardware design process to ensure ease of hardware manufacturability and develop highly efficient manufacturing processes
- Design tooling/fixture to support manufacturing, integration and test, from concept through to implementation
- Work with structures engineers to complete development, qualification and acceptance testing of structures hardware
- Define build and integration workflow through shop floor layout and work order development
- Take a lead role in resolving build issues and non-conformances that arise during the build process.
- Develop production procedures/processes to manage the transition of parts and assemblies from development to high rate production
- Provide manufacturing expertise during design reviews and interfacing with vendors
- Develop vendor relations and assess technical competency to ensure a high quality supply chain
- Bachelor's or advanced degree in aerospace engineering, manufacturing engineering, material science, mechanical engineering or similar degree
- Hands-on end to end project experience building complex mechanical systems
- 5+ years of professional engineering experience
- Dedicated team player who’s excited about ABL’s first launch system!
Preferred Skills and Experience:
- 2+ years of professional experience in the field of aerospace/mechanical engineering
- Experience interrogating and designing components/assemblies using NX and Teamcenter
- 2+ years creating and interpreting engineering drawings with GD&T
- Experience designing structures or mechanical systems in a fast-paced environment
- Structural analysis experience using hand calculation and FEA
- Fabricated structure design and manufacture experience
- Prior experience with developing, maintaining and improving welding processes
What We Look For
- 1. Critical thinking: ABL engineers understand the "why" behind all design decisions, operational events and test outcomes.
- 2. Ability to deal with ambiguity: there is no roadmap and ABL engineers must be comfortable defining their own pathway to an objective.
- 3. End-to-end ownership: projects are delivered fully complete and ready for flight; there is no one to pick up the slack of partially complete work.
This position requires access to information protected under US export control laws, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations and/or the Export Administration Regulations. As such, US person status (including US citizens, permanent residents, asylees, and refugees) is a required qualification for this position.
We are an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, national origin, protected veteran status, disability, genetics, or citizenship status (when otherwise legally authorized to work and access export-controlled data) and will not be discriminated against on the basis of such characteristics or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. We encourage applicants of all ages.