Critical Lift Technician
El Segundo, California /
Manufacturing – Manufacturing /
ABL Space Systems was founded in 2017 by veterans of SpaceX and Morgan Stanley to develop low-cost launch vehicles for the small satellite industry. More importantly, we’re building a launch system we are truly proud of – no gimmicks or over-design, just reliable, rapidly deployable launches. We’re an ambitious team with big goals and, together, we’re determined to prove that reaching space can be simple, efficient, and routine.
When launch day arrives, we want you by our side
Critical Lift Technician
Our Critical Lift Team of technicians is comprised of a small group of highly experienced riggers, who are trusted with the handling of all flight vehicles, and large flight hardware, from rocket domes to rocket engines. This great opportunity, also comes with a great deal of responsibility. The Critical Lift Team at ABL is a top tier Rigging team performing highly technical aerial maneuvers with irreplaceable flight hardware, using only the best rigging equipment and rigging techniques in the industry. These technicians are ultimately responsible for getting the rocket safely moved from the manufacturing floor to the launch pad, safe and sound.
- Safely rig/lift flight hardware into, and from manufacturing machines and fixtures.
- Safely rig/lift large tooling jigs and fixtures into position and onto flight hardware
- Install tooling onto flight hardware barrel sections, safely rig / lift and breakover barrel sections from vertical to horizontal to load into welding area.
- Safely rig/lift complete rocket stages from integration carts onto transportation trailer or shipping saddle systems
- Safely rig lift flight hardware and lift using a 5k-55k lb cap. forklift and telehandlers
- Safely rig/lift flight hardware using hydraulic boom cranes
- Safely secure flight hardware and completed rocket stages for transport, using chains & binders, ratchet straps, strap protectors, etc.
- Upkeep of rigging equipment, rigging inspections and rigging proof load certificates
- Upkeep of all lift tooling
- High school diploma or equivalency certificate
- Valid driver’s license
- 5+ years of experience rigging and/or operating heavy equipment
- Available to travel as needed
- Ability to work overtime as needed
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Certified forklift operator
- 2+ years of professional experience as a certified overhead crane operator
- NCCCO rigger I/II qualifications/certifications
- Previous experience with lifting large, odd shaped or unbalanced loads
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS/WORK ENVIRONMENTS:
- Ability to rapidly change roles/responsibilities while working in a high-paced, challenging work environment
- Ability to sit or stand for extended periods of time
- Ability to use a computer to complete assignments
- Ability to communicate with individuals and groups in person, by phone and computer
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee will typically work in a outdoor environment
- Physically able to lift and maneuver items weighing up to 50 lbs (unassisted)
- Ability to work nights, weekends, and holidays as operational needs dictate and be able to travel domestically
- Ability to perform job duties that require standing, kneeling, crouching, twisting upper body, working in cramped positions in small opening and climbing hand over hand, lifting 50 lbs., and working on ladders/lifts at elevated heights
- Ability to work in an environment requiring exposure to fumes, odors, and noise
- On-the-job (OJT) training will be required
The hourly rate for this role is $23 - $38.40. This is the lowest to highest salary we reasonably and in good faith believe we would pay for this role at the time of this posting. We may ultimately pay more or less than the posted range, and the range may be modified in the future. An employee’s pay position within the salary range will be based on several factors including, but not limited to, relevant education, qualifications, certifications, experience, skills, geographic location, performance, and business or organizational needs.
We offer a comprehensive package of benefits including paid time off, medical/dental/vision insurance, and 401(k) to eligible employees.
This position requires access to information protected under US export control laws, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations and/or the Export Administration Regulations. As such, US person status (including US citizens, permanent residents, asylees, and refugees) is a required qualification for this position.
Equal Opportunity Employer
We are an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, national origin, protected veteran status, disability, genetics, or citizenship status (when otherwise legally authorized to work and access export-controlled data) and will not be discriminated against on the basis of such characteristics or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. We encourage applicants of all ages.