Los Angeles, California /
Engineering – GNC & Flight Sciences /
ABL Space Systems was founded in 2017 by veterans of SpaceX and Morgan Stanley to develop low-cost launch vehicles for the small satellite industry. More importantly, we’re building a launch system we are truly proud of – no gimmicks or over-design, just reliable, rapidly deployable launches. We’re an ambitious team with big goals and, together, we’re determined to prove that reaching space can be simple, efficient, and routine.
When launch day arrives, we want you by our side
As an aerothermal engineer, you will be responsible for both thermal analysis and aerodynamic analysis related to the RS1 vehicle and beyond. You will be developing CFD tools and analytical Infrastructure to determine forces, moments, and heat loading on the vehicle. You will also be determining thermal environments for avionics components to recommend cooling solutions, recommending aft end insulation, determining payload thermal environments.
You will be working closely with all engineering and business development teams with short turn analysis times, so a willingness to efficiently solve cross-disciplinary problems is a must. This is a role that contributes to every mission and every flight we fly as we continue to reimagine the future of space launches.
- Develop and support of system level CFD analysis tools used to predict the aerodynamics and heat loading of our launch vehicles
- Inform any design changes or trajectory constraints related to aerothermal considerations
- Set up CFD infrastructure to support a growing analysis team
- Build, update, and anchor both system level thermal models and breakout models
- Recommend thermal solutions for problems when they arise
- Design, instrument, and perform thermal tests
- Analyze test and flight data to improve fidelity of thermal models
- B.S. from an accredited university in physics or engineering
- 0-2 years of experience in CFD or Thermal Analysis
- Experience with Matlab and/or Python
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Experience with FUN3D, Cart3D, Ansys Fluent or similar
- Experience with Thermal Desktop, Ansys thermal, or similar
- Ability to determine sufficient fidelity needed for analysis to quickly obtain results
- Demonstrated leadership of or within a small project team either in current role or during project based team in school
- 1-2 Previous Internship or research experiences In CFD or Thermal analysis.
WHAT WE LOOK FOR:
- Critical thinking: ABL engineers understand the “why” behind all design decisions, operational events and test outcomes
- Ability to deal with ambiguity: ABL engineers must be comfortable defining their own pathway to an objective
- End-to end ownership: projects are delivered fully complete and ready for flight
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS/WORK ENVIRONMENTS:
- Ability to sit or stand for extended periods of time
- Ability to use a computer to complete assignments
- Ability to communicate with individuals and groups in person, by phone and telepresence
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee will typically work in an office environment
The salary range for this role is $90,000 - $130,000. This is the lowest to highest salary we reasonably and in good faith believe we would pay for this role at the time of this posting. We may ultimately pay more or less than the posted range, and the range may be modified in the future. An employee’s pay position within the salary range will be based on several factors including, but not limited to, relevant education, qualifications, certifications, experience, skills, geographic location, performance, and business or organizational needs.
We offer a comprehensive package of benefits including paid time off, medical/dental/vision insurance, and 401(k) to eligible employees.
This position requires access to information protected under US export control laws, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations and/or the Export Administration Regulations. As such, US person status (including US citizens, permanent residents, asylees, and refugees) is a required qualification for this position.
Equal Opportunity Employer
We are an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, national origin, protected veteran status, disability, genetics, or citizenship status (when otherwise legally authorized to work and access export-controlled data) and will not be discriminated against on the basis of such characteristics or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. We encourage applicants of all ages.