Los Angeles, California /
Engineering – GNC & Flight Sciences /
ABL Space Systems was founded in 2017 by veterans of SpaceX and Morgan Stanley to develop low-cost launch vehicles for the small satellite industry. More importantly, we’re building a launch system we are truly proud of – no gimmicks or over-design, just reliable, rapidly deployable launches. We’re an ambitious team with big goals and, together, we’re determined to prove that reaching space can be simple, efficient, and routine.
When launch day arrives, we want you by our side
ABL's Guidance, Navigation, and Control (GNC) Engineers get the customer satellite delivered to the right spot every time.
Solid GNC Engineers know not only how to steer the launch vehicle on its way to orbit, but also how to work across teams to pull all of the systems together that make it possible.
- Perform and lead the GNC system development, implementation, integration and testing
- Gather, define, and document requirements to support mission and/or trajectory
- Develop GNC algorithms, models and software
- Develop, analyze and review data to validate and verify system meets specifications and design requirements
- Perform modeling and simulation tasks to validate system design and performance
- Perform GNC system integration, checkout and troubleshooting of anomalies
- Perform and direct test planning, development of test procedures and test execution
- Develop sensor and support Avionics systems requirements
- Support critical sensor (e.g. IMU) system engineering, integration and test
- Support critical controller (e.g. Thrust Vector Control Actuators, Throttle Valves) system engineering, integration and test
- Mission specific analysis for customer launch and in support of business development
- Perform "Hardware in the Loop" (HITL) testing/simulation prior to launch on both testbed and integrated launch vehicle
Near Term Responsibilities
- Stand up development integrated test bed
- Work with Avionics, Software and hardware teams in HITL environment to develop transitions and commands
- Develop codes needed to "fly" the rocket in a simulation environment in support of HITL testing
- Work with design engineers to iterate between structural and GNC limits
- Perform trajectory analysis in coordination with structures design team to enable loads analysis and design optimization for primary structure capability
- Design for loads alleviation through trajectory and loads development/understanding
- Develop GNC algorithms, models and software
- Create software implementation guide and coordinate with software engineering team to write high level flight software responsible for flying vehicle and deploying payload to intended orbit
- B.S. from an accredited university
- 4+ years experience in the development of aircraft, missile, spacecraft or similar vehicle Navigation systems or GNC systems
Preferred Skills and Experience
- Demonstrated skills in modeling, simulation, and analysis software such as MATLAB/Simulink and experience in at least one or more high-level programming languages (e.g. C, C++, or FORTRAN)
- Proficiency in trajectory planning/design and optimization algorithms or tools (e.g. POST2)
- Day of launch or on-orbit systems support including launch limits and loads/GNC capabilities evaluation
- Demonstrated leadership of or within a small project team either in current role or during project based team in school
What We Look For
- 1. Critical thinking: ABL engineers understand the "why" behind all design decisions, operational events and test outcomes.
- 2. Ability to deal with ambiguity: there is no roadmap and ABL engineers must be comfortable defining their own pathway to an objective.
- 3. End-to-end ownership: projects are delivered fully complete and ready for flight; there is no one to pick up the slack of partially complete work.
The salary range for this role is $90,000 - $130,000. This is the lowest to highest salary we reasonably and in good faith believe we would pay for this role at the time of this posting. We may ultimately pay more or less than the posted range, and the range may be modified in the future. An employee’s pay position within the salary range will be based on several factors including, but not limited to, relevant education, qualifications, certifications, experience, skills, geographic location, performance, and business or organizational needs.
We offer a comprehensive package of benefits including paid time off, medical/dental/vision insurance, and 401(k) to eligible employees.
This position requires access to information protected under US export control laws, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations and/or the Export Administration Regulations. As such, US person status (including US citizens, permanent residents, asylees, and refugees) is a required qualification for this position.
Equal Opportunity Employer
We are an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, national origin, protected veteran status, disability, genetics, or citizenship status (when otherwise legally authorized to work and access export-controlled data) and will not be discriminated against on the basis of such characteristics or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. We encourage applicants of all ages.