Propulsion Test Technician
Los Angeles, California /
ABL Space Systems /
ABL's Propulsion Test Technicians maintain critical hardware on the test site and test articles, ensuring they are mechanically sound and prepared for the next test.
Propulsion Test Technicians execute the manual operations and maintenance that keeps the test site and test articles running smooth. Their diligence prevents fittings and fasteners from coming lose, joints from leaking, and damaging debris from entering critical systems.
- Build and maintain test facilities including propellant, high pressure, and cryogenic systems
- Work alongside engineers to execute procedures for hazardous test operations, including engine hotfires
- Troubleshoot and perform maintenance on fluid system, mechanical, and electrical systems
- Work with engineers to build and maintain rocket engines and other test articles
- 2+ years of industry experience working with aircraft, cryogenic fluids, high pressure systems, or combustion device testing
Preferred Skills and Experience
- Able to diligently and safely follow hazardous test operation procedures
- Operational experience with propellants, cryogenics, and high pressure systems
- Proficiency with hand tools, lathes and drill presses, welding, electrical harnessing, forklifts and other light machinery
- Ability to interpret plumbing and instrumentation diagrams (P&IDs)
- The Propulsion Test Engineer must be willing to travel to launch and test sites to support integration and test operations
- Must be able to stand for extended periods – 8 hours minimum
- Must be able to stoop, bend, crawl, and being able to maneuver in tight spaces
- Physically able to lift and maneuver items weighing up to 50lbs (unassisted)
What We Look For
- 1. Critical thinking: ABL engineers understand the "why" behind all design decisions, operational events and test outcomes.
- 2. Ability to deal with ambiguity: there is no roadmap and ABL engineers must be comfortable defining their own pathway to an objective.
- 3. End-to-end ownership: projects are delivered fully complete and ready for flight; there is no one to pick up the slack of partially complete work.
This position requires access to information protected under US export control laws, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations and/or the Export Administration Regulations. As such, US person status (including US citizens, permanent residents, asylees, and refugees) is a required qualification for this position.
We are an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, national origin, protected veteran status, disability, genetics, or citizenship status (when otherwise legally authorized to work and access export-controlled data) and will not be discriminated against on the basis of such characteristics or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. We encourage applicants of all ages.