Site Reliability Engineer
Los Angeles, California /
Engineering – Electronic Systems /
ABL Space Systems was founded in 2017 by veterans of SpaceX and Morgan Stanley to develop low-cost launch vehicles for the small satellite industry. More importantly, we’re building a launch system we are truly proud of – no gimmicks or over-design, just reliable, rapidly deployable launches. We’re an ambitious team with big goals and, together, we’re determined to prove that reaching space can be simple, efficient, and routine.
When launch day arrives, we want you by our side
SITE RELIABILITY ENGINEER
ABL is looking for an an experienced Site Reliability Engineer to design, operate, maintain, and scale mission-critical infrastructure and products. Products include (but are not limited to) automated Hardware-In-The-Loop (HITL) data analysis systems, vehicle configuration sign-off tools, continuous integration systems for simulation and flight software, and telemetry data analysis tooling. Working with a small team, the ideal candidate is a self-starter that possesses skills spanning across software development and product operations that thrives in a fast-paced and challenging environment.
- Develop automation to deploy and manage compute resources both on-premises and in the cloud
- Deploy, operate, maintain, and scale mission-critical products and services
- Partner closely with cross-functional groups to build highly scalable, operable and maintainable products
- Exercise extreme ownership of the problem space and provide end-user support for internal customers
- Deploy and manage core infrastructure such as servers, databases, monitoring and storage
- Engage in and improve the whole software development lifecycle of services -- from concept and design through test, deployment, and maintenance
- Collaborate closely with IT to manage underlying infrastructure
- Participate and support off-site operations
- Practice sustainable incident response
- B.S. in Aerospace or Mechanical Engineering, Computer Science (CS), Computer Engineering (CE), Electrical Engineering (EE), or similar from an accredited university
- 2+ years experience in the development of aircraft, missile, spacecraft or similar electronic/avionic systems
- 3+ years of Site Reliability or DevOps experience
- 3+ years of experience with Linux operating systems
- Experience with Puppet, Ansible, or other automation frameworks
- Experience with source code and version control tools such as SVN and Git
- Automation experience in Bash, Python, and other scripting languages
- Must be comfortable working as a part of a high performance team to deliver mission critical products and services on schedule
- 5+ years of DevOps, System Administration, or Site Reliability Engineering
- 5+ years of experience with Linux operating systems
- 3+ years of experience with scripting development frameworks in Bash or Python.
- Strong understanding of Docker, Vagrant, and Kubernetes, or equivalent technologies.
- Strong grasp of virtualization and hypervisor technologies (e.g. VirtualBox, VMware, Nutanix)
- Experience with issue tracking and management systems such as JIRA
- Understanding of databases and data modeling.
- Experience maintaining and managing dozens of engineering workstations and servers
- Ability to assess performance bottlenecks and identify performance improvement techniques.
- Strong networking knowledge of TCP/IP.
- Demonstrates exceptional communication skills with the ability to clearly communicate with internal customers, peers, and management
- Demonstrated skills in applications development in at least one or more high-level programming languages (e.g. C++, C#, Rust)
- Day of Launch and systems testing support, including vehicle network, vehicle configuration sign-off, tool deployment, etc.
- Demonstrated leadership of or within a small project team either in current role or during project-based team in school
What We Look For
- 1. Critical thinking: ABL engineers understand the "why" behind all design decisions, operational events and test outcomes.
- 2. Ability to deal with ambiguity: there is no roadmap and ABL engineers must be comfortable defining their own pathway to an objective.
- 3. End-to-end ownership: projects are delivered fully complete and ready for flight; there is no one to pick up the slack of partially complete work.
This position requires access to information protected under US export control laws, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations and/or the Export Administration Regulations. As such, US person status (including US citizens, permanent residents, asylees, and refugees) is a required qualification for this position.
Equal Opportunity Employer
We are an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, national origin, protected veteran status, disability, genetics, or citizenship status (when otherwise legally authorized to work and access export-controlled data) and will not be discriminated against on the basis of such characteristics or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. We encourage applicants of all ages.