Lead Software Engineer
Los Angeles, California /
ABL Space Systems /
We build rockets to launch small satellites
ABL Space Systems (ABL) was founded in 2017, by veterans of SpaceX and Morgan Stanley, to develop low-cost launch vehicles for the small satellite industry. ABL is headquartered in El Segundo, California, where it has more than 30,000 square feet of facilities for research, development, and production. ABL is a privately-owned corporation backed by a premier group of investors.
We are a tight team with big goals. That means we need all hands on deck. At ABL, every person takes ownership of their work, and understands how it impacts our mission. Accessing space doesn’t need to be expensive, complicated, or difficult, and we’re building the systems, CONOPS, and organization to prove it. Our team has come together to pursue mastery of our domains and build something bigger than ourselves. We are proud to serve the people pushing the frontiers of space technology. Our goals are ambitious. The work is challenging. We take a deep personal responsibility for everything we make. Driven by great people and greater talent, ABL is reimagining the next generation of space launches.
When launch day arrives, we want you by our side
LEAD SOFTWARE ENGINEER
As a senior software engineer, you will be responsible for design, development, test and deployment of our launch automation systems. These include mission control software, a real-time system for controlling ground support equipment, and factory automation.
We are looking for people who are self-motivated and have shipped working systems. We expect excellence in written communication. You will be creating clarity out of sometimes conflicting or ambiguous requirements. This is a hands-on engineering leadership role. You will be shipping great software and also help grow, mentor and enable ABL's software team.
ABL is an unusually lean launch company. We've taken a new rocket and engine design from a blank sheet through engine hot fire testing, a prototype first and second stage, and structural proof tests in just over 3 years. We are now a bit over 100 people. Our first launch attempt is later this year. This means that as a senior engineer, you'll have outsized opportunity for ownership and impact.
- Take ownership of software engineering projects
- Produce high quality software
- Write documentation
- Lead code reviews
- Help hire, onboard and mentor software engineers
- Find opportunities to simplify
- BS or higher in computer science or a closely related engineering discipline. Exceptions may be made case-by-case for exceptional candidates.
- Software engineering experience. We are looking for candidates who have taken responsibility for and shipped an important software system.
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- AWS, ideally via automation tools such as Terraform
- Real-time systems, for example PLC programming
- Engineering management / engineering leadership experience
WHAT WE LOOK FOR
- Critical thinking: ABL engineers understand the “why” behind all design decisions, operational events and test outcomes
- Ability to deal with ambiguity: ABL engineers must be comfortable defining their own pathway to an objective
- End-to end ownership: projects are delivered fully complete and ready for flight
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS/WORK ENVIRONMENTS:
- Ability to sit or stand for extended periods of time
- Ability to use a computer to complete assignments
- Ability to communicate with individuals and groups in person, by phone and telepresence
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee will typically work in an office environment.
To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) you must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER:
ABL Space Systems is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with ABL Space Systems is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.