Loads & Dynamics Engineer
El Segundo, California /
Engineering – GNC & Flight Sciences /
ABL Space Systems was founded in 2017 by veterans of SpaceX and Morgan Stanley to develop low-cost launch vehicles for the small satellite industry. More importantly, we’re building a launch system we are truly proud of – no gimmicks or over-design, just reliable, rapidly deployable launches. We’re an ambitious team with big goals and, together, we’re determined to prove that reaching space can be simple, efficient, and routine.
When launch day arrives, we want you by our side
Loads & Dynamics Engineer
As a Loads & Dynamics Engineer, you will be responsible for developing loads for primary and secondary structures on current and future launch vehicles. Work includes building vehicle dynamics models, performing CLA and dynamic analyses, and maturing analysis methods and codes. You are detail oriented and enjoy improving automation. You will work closely with design and test engineers as well as business development teams to support internal and customer needs.
This is a role that contributes to every mission and every flight we fly as we continue to reimagine the future of space launches.
- Build and maintain dynamics models for CLA; perform CLA
- Perform dynamic analyses
- Provide peer review and guidance for other’s analysis including appropriate application of loads
- Collaborate with customer payload analysis teams
- Generate products for payload customers and cross-disciplinary analyses
- Build and maintain analysis and automation tools
- B.S. from an accredited university in engineering or science
- Experience using FEMAP, NX Nastran, Matlab/Python
- Experience in building and running finite element models for dynamic analyses using Nastran
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- M.S. from an accredited university in engineering or science
- Experience building and managing finite element models with multiple configurations in FEMAP
- Experience building HYDRO and Craig-Bampton models
- Experience performing static, fatigue, fracture, buckling, nonlinear, and dynamic analyses using Nastran
- Advanced Matlab/Python skills including dynamic signal processing and automation
- Strong fundamentals in dynamics
WHAT WE LOOK FOR
- Critical thinking: ABL engineers understand the “why” behind all design decisions, operational events and test outcomes
- Ability to deal with ambiguity: ABL engineers must be comfortable defining their own pathway to an objective
- End-to-end ownership
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS/WORK ENVIRONMENTS:
- Ability to sit or stand for extended periods of time
- Ability to use a computer to complete assignments
- Ability to communicate with individuals and groups in person, by phone and telepresence
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee will typically work in an office environment
The salary range for this role is $75,000-$130,000. This is the lowest to highest salary we reasonably and in good faith believe we would pay for this role at the time of this posting. We may ultimately pay more or less than the posted range, and the range may be modified in the future. An employee’s pay position within the salary range will be based on several factors including, but not limited to, relevant education, qualifications, certifications, experience, skills, geographic location, performance, and business or organizational needs.
We offer a comprehensive package of benefits including paid time off, medical/dental/vision insurance, and 401(k) to eligible employees.
This position requires access to information protected under US export control laws, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations and/or the Export Administration Regulations. As such, US person status (including US citizens, permanent residents, asylees, and refugees) is a required qualification for this position.
Equal Opportunity Employer
We are an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, national origin, protected veteran status, disability, genetics, or citizenship status (when otherwise legally authorized to work and access export-controlled data) and will not be discriminated against on the basis of such characteristics or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. We encourage applicants of all ages.