Assembly Technician - Valves
El Segundo, California /
Manufacturing – Manufacturing /
ABL Space Systems was founded in 2017 by veterans of SpaceX and Morgan Stanley to develop low-cost launch vehicles for the small satellite industry. More importantly, we’re building a launch system we are truly proud of – no gimmicks or over-design, just reliable, rapidly deployable launches. We’re an ambitious team with big goals and, together, we’re determined to prove that reaching space can be simple, efficient, and routine.
When launch day arrives, we want you by our side
Valves Assembly Technician
Valves Assembly Technicians work closely with the engineering department to build flight components and launch vehicle components for RS-1. Technicians will build motors, pumps, valves, regulators, and mechanisms for maximum reliable functionality. As a technician, you will be responsible for maintaining a high standard of build quality, and interfacing directly with engineers on the floor. Technicians in this role will be capable of understanding component functionality to be able to assist in troubleshooting or recognizing potential hazards/issues before they occur and helping to update work instructions/processes to reduce future issues and increase personnel safety.
- Deliver high-quality components for RS-1 by collaborating with engineering and leadership to achieve ABL’s component delivery rate in a reliable manner.
- Precisely assemble motors, pumps, valves, regulators, and mechanisms per work instructions and ABL specifications.
- Record passdown of completed work and report to the lead technician or manager.
- Responsible for maintaining a safe, professional, and neat work area, adhering to 5S industry standards.
- Set the standard for a rigorous and efficient technician team, operating with high efficiency and utilization across a broad mix of products.
- Provide recommendations to design/instructions/process to improve reliability, manufacturability, quality, or rate of components.
- Collaborate & cooperate with team members to achieve daily, weekly, and monthly targets.
- Be flexible and willing to adapt to “best practices” in order to meet production demands.
- High school diploma or equivalency certificate
- 2+ years of experience working in an aerospace, manufacturing, military, or automotive environment
- 2+ years of experience performing hydraulic, pneumatic proof, leak, thermal, and electrical tests
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- 2+ years of professional assembly experience in a manufacturing environment
- Prior experience in the aerospace industry
- Ability to read mechanical assembly drawings and blueprints
- High attention to detail in order to ensure safety and accuracy of assembly procedures
- Previous experience with interaction and correspondence with support engineers
- A&P license
- Embodies team mentality; coachable and reliable
- Experience with mechanical and electrical systems
- Strong mathematical, basic computer, problem-solving, decision-making skills, and strong written, verbal, and interpersonal communication skills
- Ability to make full use of computer network systems
- The ability to work independently or as part of a team, meet aggressive schedules
- Ability to rapidly change roles/responsibilities while working in a high-paced, challenging work environment
- Ability to solve complex problems with minimal supervision on tight schedules
- Ability to take project goals inputs and works towards that end-goal beyond individual task assignment
- Grow your skillset (seal installation, assembly, pressurized testing, etc.) and expertise across products (pneumatic, electromechanical, and passive valves) while training peers in a fast-growing team
- 5S knowledge and LEAN experience
- Must be willing to work all shifts, overtime, and/or weekends, and travel as needed.
- Must be able to lift up to 50 lbs. unassisted
- Standing, lifting, bending, pulling, pushing, stooping, stretching, and carrying are generally required to perform the functions of this position
The hourly rate for this role is $23 - $38.40. This is the lowest to highest salary we reasonably and in good faith believe we would pay for this role at the time of this posting. We may ultimately pay more or less than the posted range, and the range may be modified in the future. An employee’s pay position within the salary range will be based on several factors including, but not limited to, relevant education, qualifications, certifications, experience, skills, geographic location, performance, and business or organizational needs.
We offer a comprehensive package of benefits including paid time off, medical/dental/vision insurance, and 401(k) to eligible employees.
This position requires access to information protected under US export control laws, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations and/or the Export Administration Regulations. As such, US person status (including US citizens, permanent residents, asylees, and refugees) is a required qualification for this position.
Equal Opportunity Employer
We are an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, national origin, protected veteran status, disability, genetics, or citizenship status (when otherwise legally authorized to work and access export-controlled data) and will not be discriminated against on the basis of such characteristics or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. We encourage applicants of all ages.