Machine Learning Engineer
Pittsburgh, PA /
Machine Learning /
Health care is all about conversations, with over 2B spoken conversations each year between patients and their care teams in just the United States. However, people forget up to 80% of those conversations, leading to worse patient outcomes. And doctors are burning out writing notes in their EMRs instead of focusing on their patients. That’s where Abridge comes in — our audio-based standalone and integrated solutions record and summarize medical conversations, anywhere care happens.
From transcribing medical parts of the conversation to delivering key takeaways, our trailblazing work in machine learning research makes the Abridge experience possible. We're currently looking to add a machine learning engineer to our team to help us build and release more machine learning-powered value to our users.
What You'll Do:
- Architect, design, and implement high-quality machine learning software applications, infrastructure, and tools.
- Collaborate with machine learning researchers and engineers to implement and deploy algorithms, such as machine learning models.
- Work with stakeholders across machine learning and operations teams to iterate on systems design and implementation.
- Create re-usable software and systems to accelerate development.
- Profile, tune, and optimize system performance and debug production issues.
- Maintain high standards by participating in reviews, designing for fault tolerance, and creating continuous improvement mechanisms.
Who You Are:
- Bachelor's Degree or greater in Computer Science/Engineering, Statistics, Mathematics, or equivalent.
- 3+ years of industry software development experience, with a background in design patterns, data structures, and test-driven development.
- Proficient in developing production-quality software in languages such as C++, Python, or Java.
- Proficient with professional software engineering practices & standard practices for the full software life cycle, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, and operations.
- Experience with cloud based environments
- Experience with Kubernetes or Docker
- Experience in software design and architecture.
- Excellent interpersonal and written communication skills.
Ideally, You Have:
- Experience in one or more relevant technical areas: natural language processing, machine learning, distributed systems, or building infrastructure for engineering/science users.
- Expertise in machine learning toolchains and techniques, such as Pytorch or Tensorflow.
- Demonstrated experience incubating and productionizing new technology, working closely with research scientists and technical teams from idea generation through implementation.
Why work at Abridge
- Be a part of a trailblazing, mission driven organization that uses audio as the wedge to improve the healthcare delivery experience
- Unlimited PTO, plus 12 national holidays
- Comprehensive and generous benefits package:
- 16 weeks paid parental leave, for all employees
- Flexible working hours — we care more about what you accomplish than what specific hours you’re working
- Remote work environment
- Equity for all new employees
- Generous equipment budget for your home office setup ($1600)
- Opportunity to work and grow with talented individuals, and have ownership and impact at a high growth startup.
- Plus much more!
100% coverage of employee medical, dental and vision
75% coverage for dependent medical, dental and vision
Life at Abridge
At Abridge, we’re driven by our mission to bring understanding and follow-through to every medical conversation. Our culture is founded on doing things the “inverse” way in a legacy system—focusing on patients, instead of the system; focusing on outcomes, instead of billing; and focusing on the end-user experience, instead of a hospital administrator's mandate.
Abridgers are engineers, scientists, designers, and health policy experts from a diverse set of backgrounds—an experiment in alchemy that helps us transform an industry dominated by EHRs and enterprise into a consumer-driven experience, one recording at a time. We believe in strong ideas, loosely held, and place a high premium on a growth mindset. We push each other to grow and expose each other to the latest in our respective fields. Whether it’s holding a PhD-level deep dive into understanding fairness and underlying bias in machine learning models, debating the merits of a Scandinavian design philosophy in our UI/UX, or writing responses for Medicare rules to influence U.S. health policy, we prioritize sharing our findings across the team and believe that "you need to taste good things to have good taste."
Abridge is an equal opportunity employer. Diversity and inclusion is at the core of what we do. We actively welcome applicants from all backgrounds (including but not limited to race, gender, educational background, and sexual orientation).