Director of Engineering
New York, NY or Pittsburgh, PA /
When you think about your last doctor’s appointment, how much do you actually recall? If you’re like most people, you’ll likely forget over 40% of the conversation. Details fall through the cracks, generic printouts you receive end up in the trash, and important information never makes it to other doctors. Ultimately, you’re left needing to connect the dots in your care. That’s why we started Abridge with a simple thesis: if we can shift agency to consumers, we can help them stay on top of their health. When you use Abridge to record your health conversations, the conversations themselves become your medical record. It’s as easy as that.
We're looking for a Director of Engineering to lead our application development team and orchestrate the many moving parts, from audio recording to app development. Reporting directly to the CTO, this person will help us recruit, coach, inspire, and retain high performing talent. This person will also help us develop a company culture and practices that scale as we strive to help everyone stay on top of their health.
Who You Are:
- You excel at people management and default to a leadership style that promotes mastery, cohesion, and excellence.
- You have demonstrated experience and enjoy leading engineering teams through periods of rapid company growth.
- You are up to date with the latest technology stack and understand the pros, cons, weaknesses, and ideal use cases. You can lead all aspects of technical decision making.
- You are able to recognize company-wide implications for decisions and suggest appropriate trade-offs. You can make tough and fast decisions.
- You are curious by nature and are always eager to find ways to improve the way we do things.
- You are not afraid to roll your sleeves up and jump into code as needed.
- You are driven by the mission; its ambition keeps you humble, and your hustle is infectious.
What You'll Do:
- Recruit, retain, and develop top talent on a team that is continuing to grow. You will put processes in place to ensure team members continue to “level up” their skills and abilities.
- Establish trust within and across teams by creating accountability and a positive work environment.
- Own the day-to-day operation of the application development at Abridge.
- Manage, scale, and align different components of the application development team (React-Native, Native, DevOps, QA, etc.) to deliver business outcomes.
- You will be a regular value-added participant in product design reviews, architecture and technology discussions, stand-ups and retrospectives.
Ideally, You'll Have:
- Experience at a startup in the last 5 years, or you believe you'll excel in a startup environment (high ambiguity, fast-paced, and large area of responsibility).
Life at Abridge
At Abridge, we’re driven by our mission to bring understanding and follow-through to every medical conversation. Our culture is founded on doing things the “inverse” way in a legacy system—focusing on patients, instead of the system; focusing on outcomes, instead of billing; and focusing on the end-user experience, instead of a hospital administrator's mandate.
Abridgers are engineers, scientists, designers, and health policy experts from a diverse set of backgrounds—an experiment in alchemy that helps us transform an industry dominated by EHRs and enterprise into a consumer-driven experience, one recording at a time. We believe in strong ideas, loosely held, and place a high premium on a growth mindset. We push each other to grow and expose each other to the latest in our respective fields. Whether it’s holding a PhD-level deep dive into understanding fairness and underlying bias in machine learning models, debating the merits of a Scandinavian design philosophy in our UI/UX, or writing responses for Medicare rules to influence U.S. health policy, we prioritize sharing our findings across the team and believe that "you need to taste good things to have good taste."
Abridge is an equal opportunity employer. Diversity and inclusion is at the core of what we do. We actively welcome applicants from all backgrounds (including but not limited to race, gender, educational background, and sexual orientation).