Research Scientist, Natural Language Processing
Pittsburgh, PA /
Machine Learning /
When you think about your last doctor’s appointment, how much do you actually recall? If you’re like most people, you’ll likely forget over 40% of the conversation. Details fall through the cracks, generic printouts you receive end up in the trash, and important information never makes it to other doctors. Ultimately, you’re left needing to connect the dots in your care. That’s why we started Abridge with a simple thesis: if we can shift agency to consumers, we can help them stay on top of their health. When you use Abridge to record your health conversations, the conversations themselves become your medical record. It’s as easy as that.
From transcribing medical parts of the conversation to delivering key takeaways, our trailblazing work in machine learning research makes the Abridge experience possible. We're currently looking for a research scientist with experience in natural language processing to help us strengthen and expand our medical conversation understanding capabilities.
What You'll Do:
- Conduct research to advance state of the art on information extraction and summarization related natural language processing tasks
- Utilize that research to develop and deploy scalable neural network models into production
- Actively contribute to the wider research community by sharing and publishing your findings
- Be results-oriented in the face of ambiguous problems and uncertain outcomes
Who You Are:
- Graduate degree (MS or PhD) in Electrical Engineering, Computer Sciences, Mathematics, or similar with specialization in natural language processing or machine learning
- 3+ years experience in building NLP systems
- Strong programming skills with proven experience crafting, prototyping, and delivering machine learning solutions
- Experience with one or more deep learning libraries and platforms (e.g., TensorFlow, Caffe, Chainer, or PyTorch)
Ideally, you have:
- Expertise in various facets of ML and NLP, such as conversational dialogue systems, classification, information extraction, semi-supervised learning, and topic modeling
- A passion for making ML methods robust and scalable
Life at Abridge
At Abridge, we’re driven by our mission to bring understanding and follow-through to every medical conversation. Our culture is founded on doing things the “inverse” way in a legacy system—focusing on patients, instead of the system; focusing on outcomes, instead of billing; and focusing on the end-user experience, instead of a hospital administrator's mandate.
Abridgers are engineers, scientists, designers, and health policy experts from a diverse set of backgrounds—an experiment in alchemy that helps us transform an industry dominated by EHRs and enterprise into a consumer-driven experience, one recording at a time. We believe in strong ideas, loosely held, and place a high premium on a growth mindset. We push each other to grow and expose each other to the latest in our respective fields. Whether it’s holding a PhD-level deep dive into understanding fairness and underlying bias in machine learning models, debating the merits of a Scandinavian design philosophy in our UI/UX, or writing responses for Medicare rules to influence U.S. health policy, we prioritize sharing our findings across the team and believe that "you need to taste good things to have good taste."
Abridge is an equal opportunity employer. Diversity and inclusion is at the core of what we do. We actively welcome applicants from all backgrounds (including but not limited to race, gender, educational background, and sexual orientation).