Machine Learning Engineer
Pittsburgh, PA /
Machine Learning /
When you think about your last doctor’s appointment, how much do you actually recall? If you’re like most people, you’ll likely forget over 40% of the conversation. Details fall through the cracks, generic printouts you receive end up in the trash, and important information never makes it to other doctors. Ultimately, you’re left needing to connect the dots in your care. That’s why we started Abridge with a simple thesis: if we can shift agency to consumers, we can help them stay on top of their health. When you use Abridge to record your health conversations, the conversations themselves become your medical record. It’s as easy as that.
From transcribing medical parts of the conversation to delivering key takeaways, our trailblazing work in machine learning research makes the Abridge experience possible. We're currently looking to add a machine learning engineer to our team to help us build and release more machine learning-powered value to our users.
What You'll Do:
- Architect, design, and implement high-quality machine learning software applications, infrastructure, and tools.
- Collaborate with machine learning researchers and engineers to implement and deploy algorithms, such as machine learning models.
- Work with stakeholders across machine learning and operations teams to iterate on systems design and implementation.
- Create re-usable software and systems to accelerate development.
- Profile, tune, and optimize system performance and debug production issues.
- Maintain high standards by participating in reviews, designing for fault tolerance, and creating continuous improvement mechanisms.
Who You Are:
- Bachelor's Degree or greater in Computer Science/Engineering, Statistics, Mathematics, or equivalent.
- 3+ years of industry software development experience, with a background in design patterns, data structures, and test-driven development.
- Proficient in developing production-quality software in languages such as C++, Python, or Java.
- Proficient with professional software engineering practices & standard practices for the full software life cycle, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, and operations.
- Experience in software design and architecture.
- Excellent interpersonal and written communication skills.
Ideally, You Have:
- Experience in one or more relevant technical areas: natural language processing, machine learning, distributed systems, or building infrastructure for engineering/science users.
- Expertise in machine learning toolchains and techniques, such as Pytorch or Tensorflow.
- Demonstrated experience incubating and productionizing new technology, working closely with research scientists and technical teams from idea generation through implementation.
Life at Abridge
At Abridge, we’re driven by our mission to bring understanding and follow-through to every medical conversation. Our culture is founded on doing things the “inverse” way in a legacy system—focusing on patients, instead of the system; focusing on outcomes, instead of billing; and focusing on the end-user experience, instead of a hospital administrator's mandate.
Abridgers are engineers, scientists, designers, and health policy experts from a diverse set of backgrounds—an experiment in alchemy that helps us transform an industry dominated by EHRs and enterprise into a consumer-driven experience, one recording at a time. We believe in strong ideas, loosely held, and place a high premium on a growth mindset. We push each other to grow and expose each other to the latest in our respective fields. Whether it’s holding a PhD-level deep dive into understanding fairness and underlying bias in machine learning models, debating the merits of a Scandinavian design philosophy in our UI/UX, or writing responses for Medicare rules to influence U.S. health policy, we prioritize sharing our findings across the team and believe that "you need to taste good things to have good taste."
Abridge is an equal opportunity employer. Diversity and inclusion is at the core of what we do. We actively welcome applicants from all backgrounds (including but not limited to race, gender, educational background, and sexual orientation).