Senior Product Designer
San Francisco, CA
Senior Product Designer
Academia’s mission is to make every research paper available for free for everyone in the world. So far our more than 100 million registered users have uploaded about one third of all research papers ever written and there have been over 2 billion downloads. We’re pretty excited about that!
Problems like climate change, political conflict and social inequality can only be solved through intensive collaboration. That’s why we built a network to allow researchers to share, discover, and collaborate on new research from around the world. We love creating the experiences that enable new researchers to be discovered, and established researchers to reach new audiences.
So if you want to help all people access the world’s latest research, and help researchers connect and collaborate, keep reading!
What will you get?
In addition to finding great talent for our tight-knit team, we value fostering employee growth. Our nearly 50-person team values curiosity, initiative, teamwork, and we are passionate about building great products. We are turning cash flow positive and our revenue run rate is growing rapidly. We have an employee-focused benefits program that includes top notch health, dental, and vision insurance, a generous time off policy (21-days paid vacation, 11 federal paid holidays, and unlimited sick days), stock options, catered lunch, a stocked kitchen, and a book stipend. We’re located near MUNI & BART in beautiful downtown San Francisco.
* Own large design projects (exploring mobile experiences, contributing to a design system, revolutionizing peer review and publishing, helping researchers showcase their work)
* Work quickly and effectively on multiple projects.
* Ship new features, bug fixes, and small improvements multiple times a week.
* Work directly with our engineers, delivering them product specs and assets
* Work directly with other designers to envision and iterate concepts
* Contribute to high-level strategic decisions with the rest of the team
* Deliver mockups and high-fidelity user interfaces
* Prototype concepts in Invision (we also like Webflow for live CSS/HTML prototypes)
* 5+ years of Product Design (User Experience, Interaction Design)
* A strong design background with an obsessive eye to interaction details
* Experience designing for web and mobile applications
* Ability to think at a high level about product strategy and vision
* Self-motivated and able to efficiently run with a project without close supervision
* Basic knowledge of HTML & CSS.
* Excellent communication skills—you should be able to clearly articulate your design decisions
* Bachelor's Degree
* User research experience—formative and validation/usability testing
* Experience with Webflow or other prototyping tools
* Experience building and evolving a Design System
* Experience with effective A/B testing
* Using quantitative data to influence design decisions
* Master’s Degree in HCI
The Academia Story
Academia is building a new distribution and peer review platform for academic research. Guided by a mission to accelerate the world’s research, Academia aims to make every academic paper ever published available for free online and accessible by anyone in the world.
Academia has built a network of Academics around the world who access our platform on the web and a native mobile app to discover new research, collaborate, recommend and peer review papers, and gather feedback on draft research by participating in real-time collaborative sessions. Academia’s platform has registered more than 100 million users (growing at over 150,000 per day), has over 70 million unique visitors every month, including over 19M logged-in monthly active users (MAU). We have over 150,000 paying premium subscribers, which has contributed to a doubling in revenue for both of the last two years.
Academia has attracted $34 million in investment from leading VC firms including Khosla Ventures, True Ventures, Spark Capital, and Tencent. Our work has garnered favorable attention from trade and mainstream media including UK Times, Fortune, Wired, EdTech, Venture Beat, San Francisco Business Times, The Economist, The Washington Post, TechCrunch, Scientific American, and Forbes.
Academia is a proud equal opportunity employer and we are committed to hiring and supporting a diverse workforce. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.