Senior Full-stack Software Engineer (San Francisco, CA - Hybrid)
San Francisco, CA
Senior Full Stack Engineer
(San Francisco, CA - Hybrid)
📍Work Tuesdays and Thursdays at our San Francisco office and the rest WFH.
Our office in San Francisco is at 580 California Street and is a few blocks from the Montgomery exit of BART and MUNI.
ENGINEERING / FULL-TIME
Life is short - do something that matters! We are Academia.edu. Our mission is to accelerate and democratize the world's research because scientific discovery is based on it, which benefits everyone.
Who we are
We are building the world’s largest network for sharing and finding academic research online. With over 245M registered users and nearly half of the world’s academics using our platform monthly, Academia.edu has a significant global reach.
By joining our team, you will have the chance to make a positive and lasting impact on our users around the globe. Our users range from researchers, academics, and industry professionals to college students. Our company has over 340,000 paying premium subscribers, which has resulted in positive cash flow. This puts us in a unique position to disrupt the $25 billion academic publishing industry.
What we're looking for
Our ideal candidates are not only great at what they do but are also mission-driven. Ideally, you have experience working across the stack and are excited about owning product and engineering initiatives—bonus points for experience scaling an application to handle an increasing user base.
- Good coding habits are a must.
- Knowledge and use of common data structures and algorithms to solve problems.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills to build solutions and products.
- Ability and willingness to learn new languages and technologies as needed.
- 5+yrs. of experience working on large-scale, consumer-facing web apps or platforms in a Unix/Linux environment.
- Understanding, creating, manipulating, and querying databases.
- Rest API/back-end coding in a scripting language.
Our Tech Stack:
- Ruby on Rails, Sidekiq
- PostgreSQL, Redis, Elasticsearch
- React + Typescript
- RSpec, Chromatic, Jest, Storybook
- CircleCI, Jenkins, Ansible, Terraform, Datadog
- AWS ecosystem (EC2, S3, RDS, Redshift, Aurora, and many others)
- You don’t need to know our tech stack, but you must be willing and able to learn and apply it quickly!
What you’ll work on:
- You'll be designing and building systems and web applications to make our user base more productive on our platform. Here are some things that we are currently working on:
- A fast and scalable peer review system that identifies and distributes high-quality academic works.
- Services that help academic authors understand the impact of their scholarship via text parsing and computation of bibliometrics.
- Algorithmic approaches to identification of academic content and disambiguation of authorships in order to make every paper ever written available for free.
- A paper recommendation engine that helps users discover the most relevant research.
- Search Engine Optimizations to improve the discoverability of our corpus of 40M+ PDFs.
What impact will you have?
- Researchers from all over the world give us fantastic feedback:
- “I go through all the articles in the bulk download, save the ones that are clearly going to be useful, and discard the remainder. This saves loads of time but also points me in directions I might not otherwise have thought of looking.”
- “The bulk downloads give me the chance to read more related articles as well as see what research is citing the article I am looking at. It also helps me rapidly expand my personal digital library of references.”
- See more: https://www.academia.edu
What you’ll get?
- In addition to working closely with and collaborating with our diverse, talented, tight-knit team, we value fostering employee growth.
- Our ~82-person team, which includes ~38 Software Engineers, values curiosity, initiative, teamwork, and we are passionate about building a great work environment that produces great products.
- We have an employee-focused benefits program that includes:
- 100% employer-paid medical, dental, and vision insurance for employees that covers their spouses and dependents.
- A generous Paid Time Off includes 21 paid vacation days, 12 paid company holidays, 1 volunteer day, and many other PTO leaves as well.
- Annual professional development allowance & PTO.
- Work/Life balance with flex hours.
- Flexible sick days.
- Book stipend.
- Stock options.
- Parental & birth parent leave - 8 fully paid weeks each.
- Fully paid 6-week sabbatical after 4 years of employment.
- Weekly Bootcamp & yoga class.
- FSA accounts.
- Catered lunches
- Company-paid retreats.
- Commuter benefits.
- WFH monthly Internet stipend.
- New hardware and accessories for WFH productivity setup.
- 401K plan.
In addition, for those who working at our office, located near MUNI & BART in beautiful downtown San Francisco - Financial District. The office is stocked with snacks, drinks, and oftentimes catered lunches.
Diversity and Inclusion
Academia is a proud equal opportunity employer and we are committed to hiring and supporting a diverse workforce. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
The first-year cash compensation amount for this role is targeted at $160,000 to $220,000 USD. Multiple factors, including candidate experience and expertise, determine final offer amounts and may vary from those listed above.