At Accion [pronounced AX-ee-on], we're working to change the world by making outer space more affordable and accessible. We come to work every day to build next-generation ion engines and other cool technologies for spacecraft. Our younger selves would be very proud of us.
Our team is excited about our mission and we work AND play hard together to achieve it. We offer competitive salary and benefits (including health, dental, 401(k) with match, gym membership reimbursement, and unlimited vacation), and we engage our team through activities including an annual retreat, weekly lunches, monthly team outings, and the chance to travel to and present at industry events. We strongly value self-motivated, enthusiastic employees and we work hard as a group to nurture growth mindsets in company and personal goals.
About This Position
We’re seeking a materials scientist who will identify and develop materials and manufacturing processes to improve performance and manufacturing scalability for our products.
The ideal candidate will have a degree in materials science and engineering, with at least 3 years of hands-on experience post-graduation. Qualified candidates with degrees from related fields will also be considered.
- Investigating, synthesizing and characterizing new materials and manufacturing methods
- Facilitating integration of materials into propulsion system hardware, including propellant supply systems and MEMS devices
- Collaborating on ongoing research and development activities for propulsion system components and future advanced technologies
- Working closely with the team and product managers to understand customer and company requirements and objectives
- Required Competencies:
- Hands-on experience in designing and executing experiments to develop, qualify, and integrate new materials.
- Ability to rapidly design and test assemblies and processes.
- Experience designing experimental setups and test equipment.
- A theoretical understanding of material properties, including the mechanical behavior of materials.
- A creative, independent problem solver and an organized self-starter.
- A team player who contributes positively to the work environment.
- Strong written and oral communication skills.
- Experience working in the aerospace industry or in designing and qualifying materials for use in harsh environments
- Knowledge of electrochemistry and electrochemical techniques
- Experience developing or fabricating ceramic or glass materials
- Familiarity with the fundamentals of microfabrication techniques
- Competency with CAD software
- Space is cool! New startup companies working on space technology have reinvigorated excitement for outer space. You can join one of Boston’s few space companies working on technology that will be launched into orbit. Our team is comprised of highly motivated employees who are leading experts in the space industry, revolutionizing in-space propulsion.
- Startup Environment: Working at a startup means you get to contribute to the company’s big picture goals. Every employee at Accion works on critical projects from start to finish that directly impact our company’s progress.
- Breakfast every Monday, Lunch every Wednesday, Monthly Birthday Lunches, New Employee Lunches (Basically, you’ll be fed!)
- Kitchen is always fully stocked with snacks and drinks
- Regular social hour, team building events and industry networking events, social groups (Women of Accion, R&D Journal Club, Book Club, Foodie Group, Bike Club)
- Open office setup with plenty of breakout spaces to fly solo
- State of the art lab facility
- Free parking and shuttle to Sullivan and South Station
- On site gym, cafeteria, cafe, lounge, rooftop garden, harbor walk, softball field, corn-hole, ping pong table
- Steps away from historic Charlestown and trendy Assembly Row
- Five-minute walk to the Orange Line
The position is full-time, on-site, and available to be filled immediately.
To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, applicants must be U.S. citizens, lawful permanent residents of the U.S., or protected individuals as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3).
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, or any other protected factor.