Avalanche Senior Support Engineer
UK - Remote /
Services and Support – Support /
Our Vision is to be the Most Trusted, Flexible and Easy to Use Hybrid Cloud Data Platform. Actian is transforming industries by empowering companies to accelerate application modernization and simplify the Cloud journey. Our customers use the Actian Data Platform to unify their siloed data, explore and securely exchange data to run a variety of analytic workloads that provide real time business insights at a fraction of the cost. We have 24 of the Fortune 100 companies using Actian technology in some of the most mission critical applications that impact your daily life.
We are looking for a Senior Support Engineer to provide prompt, courteous and in-depth front-end technical support to customers, including answering complex questions on function and product usage and recreating customer problems. Also responsible for mentoring and training less-experienced technical support personnel and taking customer problems to the point of identifying the problem or recommending a fix/solution.
- Provides customer support via phone and email to data integration developers and end users.
- Uses Salesforce Service Cloud Reporting Portal to manage support cases, perform issue investigation of customer problems, answer customer questions, offer solutions to problems, monitor and answer community forum questions.
- Respond to front line and escalated support calls of a complex nature and work independently toward resolution of customer problems.
- Install, configure, test, and troubleshoot computer software, hardware, or network systems or applications that may be necessary to reproduce or analyze the customer’s environment or problems.
- Research and investigate product defects using traces, logs, and other software tools.
- Help to set-up problem recreation environments and standards to support the organization.
- Identify where problems occur within Actian products and recommend solution or area of defect to Software Engineers or management.
- Work with Support Engineers, Senior Support Engineers, Principal Support Engineers, or Team Lead, and Software Engineers to expedite resolution of customer issues.
- Troubleshooting data integration projects from Customers and our internal departments (Sustaining Engineering, Pre-sales)
- Work with customers to verify fixes supplied have resolved their problems.
- Escalate customer issues to Software Engineering, or support management as necessary.
- Coach/Mentor less-experienced technical support personnel.
- Review backlogs of less-experienced Support Engineers and help as needed
- Identify training needs within support organization and proactively create and deliver training sessions to address these requirements.
- Provided 24X7 and Follow-the-Sun support.
- Provide Knowledge Documents and How-To Documents to support technology
- Provide web content via newsletter, Technical Documents, and How-to documents.
- Uses Service Cloud to maintain accurate customer history for all issues that are recorded; documents each in a complete and concise manner.
- Demonstrates effective implementation of Actian Core Competencies.
- Strong proven trouble-shooting and customer service skills with 5-7 years of technical support experience as a Support Engineer/Senior Support Engineer. Technical expertise in operating systems and/or database or 3 or more years as a programmer and at least 3- 5 years’ technical support experience, preferably in the data integration field
- Strong customer communication skills (written and verbal)
- Strong customer service mindset, including attitude, ethics and approach
- Knowledge of SQL, query-writing
- Knowledge of (but not limited to): Oracle, SQL Server, Sybase, IBM DB2, MySQL, Informix, Access, Excel, XML, JMS (message-oriented middleware), ODBC, ASCII, Java, COM, C, Visual Source Safe, CVS, REST
- Knowledge of scripting languages, including Bash, Shell, JSP etc.
- Knowledge and use of ETL data integration products, like Informatica, Boomi, Talend or Actian DataConnect strongly recommended
- Knowledgeable with Linux and MS Windows installation and administration skills
- Experience with Cloud or Virtualization technology (VMWare, AWS, Azure, Google Cloud)
- Experience with Salesforce and Jira a plus
- Familiar with Business Analytics applications, support, and troubleshooting concepts
- Familiar with data warehousing and ETL process
- Familiar with Cloud Computing concepts
- Able to quickly grasp and learn new technologies
- Bachelor's Degree preferred or required work-related experience
- Business travel of approximately 5 or less percent yearly is expected for this position
We value diversity at our company. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, or any other applicable legally protected characteristics in the location in which the candidate is applying.
ATTENTION JOB SEEKERS: Please be aware of potential scams related to Actian job postings. We have been made aware of individuals impersonating Actian recruiters and asking for sensitive information, including banking details. Please note that any communications from Actian will come through our ATS, Lever, or from an email address with an Actian domain. If you are approached by firstname.lastname@example.org or an @gmail address, this is not legitimate. We encourage you to apply for roles only through https://www.actian.com/company/careers/. If you have any concerns or questions, please contact us at email@example.com.