Software Engineering Intern - REMOTE
Engineering – Engineering /
Our Vision is to be the Most Trusted, Flexible and Easy to Use Hybrid Cloud Data Platform. Actian is transforming industries by empowering companies to accelerate application modernization and simplify the Cloud journey. Our customers use the Actian Data Platform to unify their siloed data, explore and securely exchange data to run a variety of analytic workloads that provide real time business insights at a fraction of the cost. We have 24 of the Fortune 100 companies using Actian technology in some of the most mission critical applications that impact your daily life.
We are looking for interns to join us for our 2022 Summer Internship Program! This 12-week program is set to being June 13th, so if you are looking for an incredible opportunity to partner with the best and brightest minds in the industry, apply today. This program has been designed with our interns in mind and includes structured learning plans, a dedicated buddy, and a focused capstone project that you will have the opportunity to present in our Internship Showcase!
What It’s Like Interning with Us!
Weekly Events— just because the internship is remote, doesn’t mean we don’t have time for fun! Last summer, we hosted an epic Lip Sync Battle, tiny camp fire—complete with smores(!!!), a murder mystery party, and so much more
Time with Executives— Interns all get a chance to connect with our executive team through panel discussions, 1:1s, Q&A meetings, and events
Workshops & Tech Tuesday’s— Interns all take part in Tech Tuesday’s where they get to learn more about Actian specific technologies, as well as workshops geared towards new professionals
About the Role
We are seeking a responsible intern with experience in software design, implementation and debugging. The successful candidate will gain real world experience within our Engineering team and help bring new features to our Data Integration product. This project will consist of extending our plug-in component framework to support quick development of components based on Apache Camel endpoints. Once completed, the intern will develop a new Camel-endpoint-based component.
This project will help accelerate adoption of Apache’s open-source Camel endpoints within our product and will provide the intern with valuable knowledge & experience. The successful candidate will work collaboratively with our domain architects, senior quality engineers, and technical writers on all facets of this project.
- Design and implement an Apache Camel-based extension to an existing component-based Java framework
- Develop a new Component based on the newly developed extension
- Coordinate and report development efforts with stakeholders, including domain architects, quality engineers and technical writers
- Attend daily stand-ups and other team meetings
- Iteratively demonstrate progress to the engineering team and other stakeholders as required
- Demonstrable hands-on experience designing and developing applications using Java version 11 and higher
- Experience developing Apache Camel routes using Java DSL
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Strong troubleshooting and debugging capabilities.
- Experience writing unit tests using mock objects (JUnit, Mockito and PowerMock)
- Knowledge of version control, build, and continuous integration tools (Git/Maven/Jenkins/)
- Ability to learn and implement new technologies quickly and effectively
- Object Oriented development experience
- Excellent communication skills
- Windows and Linux operating systems
- Must be actively enrolled in a college degree program
- Must be legally authorized to work in the United States
We value diversity at our company. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, or any other applicable legally protected characteristics in the location in which the candidate is applying.