Senior Software Developer
Engineering – Engineering /
Our Vision is to be the Most Trusted, Flexible and Easy to Use Hybrid Cloud Data Platform. Actian is transforming industries by empowering companies to accelerate application modernization and simplify the Cloud journey. Our customers use the Actian Data Platform to unify their siloed data, explore and securely exchange data to run a variety of analytic workloads that provide real time business insights at a fraction of the cost. We have 24 of the Fortune 100 companies using Actian technology in some of the most mission critical applications that impact your daily life.
You will be part of the Actian Zen engineering team. Actian Zen is the NoSQL/SQL data store for Edge/IoT, web services, and traditional desktop applications.
This is a senior level position. The sustaining engineer contributes to all facets of the development and maintenance of the Zen product line. The product handles enormous amounts of data and can be critical to our customers’ missions 24x7. The person in this role will function as an individual contributor and have excellent software development skills and work closely with Support, QA, and development. The person will learn the various versions and functions of the product and be able to debug existing code for defects found by internal and external users. The person needs to become an expert in how the product operates and be the first stop for customer escalations into Engineering.
- A minimum of 5 years software development experience with C and C++.
- A degree in Computer Science or related field, or equivalent experience.
- Proactive and good problem solving skills.
- Good oral and written communication skills; able to communicate effectively with cross-functional personnel.
- Comfortable with software-development process, including build, change management, unit testing, and working with QA team.
- Experience developing code for multiple platforms (Windows, Linux, MacOS).
- Scripting languages (especially Python) and build systems.
- POSIX networking.
- I18N, especially language localization and string handling.
- Debugging live processes in QA environment, not just from IDE.
- Worked with a million-line code base.
- Strong OS and system-level knowledge as it pertains to performance (both time and space) including process memory consumption, multi-thread scalability, and transaction throughput.
- Diverse experience with a variety of programming languages, development tools, technology frameworks, application servers, and databases.
- Work on complex problems, with minimal supervision, where analysis of the situation requires an in-depth evaluation of various factors.
- Create design specifications based on requirements for new or existing products.
- Implement and own major design or system components.
- Develop, enhance, and maintain existing software.
- Solve or recommend solutions to very complex issues and problems, including customer-reported problems.
- Exercise judgment within broadly defined practices in selecting methods and evaluation criteria for obtaining results.
- Initiate the use of new technologies.
- Work effectively within a team environment and serve in a leadership role.
- Establish a course of action to deliver high-quality products on time.
We value diversity at our company. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, or any other applicable legally protected characteristics in the location in which the candidate is applying.