Senior Mailops Engineer
United States /
Development – Platform Engineering /
ActiveCampaign's category-defining Customer Experience Automation Platform (CXA) helps over 150,000 businesses in 170 countries meaningfully engage with their customers. The platform gives businesses of all sizes access to 500+ pre-built automations that combine email marketing, marketing automation and CRM for powerful segmentation and personalization across social, email, messaging, chat and text. Over 100,000 of ActiveCampaign's customers use its 850+ integrations including Microsoft, Shopify, Square, Facebook, and Salesforce. ActiveCampaign scores higher in customer satisfaction than any other solution in Marketing Automation, CRM, and E-Commerce Personalization on G2.com and is the Top Rated Email Marketing Software on TrustRadius. Pricing starts at just $9/month. Start a free trial at ActiveCampaign.com.
As a global multicultural company, we are proud of our inclusive culture which embraces diverse voices, backgrounds, and perspectives. We don’t just celebrate our differences, we believe our diversity is what empowers our innovation and success. If this matches your goals and interests, we hope you consider joining our team!
As one of the fastest-growing SaaS companies, we are scaling rapidly to keep up with market demand. We are growing all of our teams and looking for people who share our values, deliver innovation frequently, and join us in our mission to grow our customer base from 150,000 today to millions.
The MailOps team’s mission is to maintain and improve ActiveCampaign’s mail infrastructure and tooling to provide our customers with a best of breed deliverability experience. Our vision is to provide mail sending functionality that is highly available and reliable for any size of workload, with a very high quality shared IP ecosystem that small, medium, and large businesses can leverage to get the best deliverability results from day one.
We aim to achieve our platform vision by 1) building a best-in-class MTA ecosystem with 4 9s of availability, flexibility, security and compliance by default, 2) providing APIs, abstractions, infrastructure, composable services and self-service interfaces to accelerate product delivery, 3) optimizing cost-to-serve to achieve profitable scale, and 4) automating repeatable, time consuming and complicated infrastructure tasks and by building self service features and functionality that delight and inspire our front line deliverability specialists and internal developers to do their best work.
The Senior Mailops Engineer is an engineering role to design and deliver our mail environment's future state. You will develop, deploy and operate ActiveCampaign’s worldwide MTA services based on AC’s standard procedures and guidelines, towards 24x7 availability, with high performance, scalable and zero downtime releases in our PowerMTA, AWS environment.
What your day could consist of:
- Establish and set up new mail servers using AWS, Chef, Terraform, Pulumi and other modern provisioning/devops technologies
- Contribute to high level architectural designs for autoscaling, provisioning, scaling, patching, reducing cost, and increasing the resiliency of our mail platform
- Work to improve timely email delivery and processing for all outgoing and incoming email streams
- Monitor outgoing queues to address bottlenecks and blocks as they occur
- Troubleshoot and resolve bugs and issues, including delayed delivery
- Work to automate all aspects of sending and deliverability analytics infrastructure to ensure optimal resiliency, scalability and performance
- Participate in an on call rotation for the MTA environment
- Identify customers causing technical issues or abusing aspects of the mail platform
What is needed:
- 3-5 years of experience operating a mail environment, ideally from the sender side
- Thorough knowledge of the email stack and mastery of PowerMTA or a comparable MTA like MomentumExperience in fast paced, agile Devops/SRE environment working with a cloud provider such as AWS, Azure, or Google Cloud
- Thorough understanding of DNS, SPF, DKIM, and DMARC and related RFCs
- Proficiency with one of the following scripting languages: PHP, Python, Go, or BashDeep understanding of basic deliverability concepts like IP warming, spam traps, feedback loops, blocklists, IP reputation, bounce processing, etc
- Understanding of the trade-offs of employing different engineering solutions to a problem, valuing pragmatism over idealism
- Understanding of and passion for SMB businesses
- Proficient in Linux system administration
- Bonus points if you have attended M3AAWG, have experience with Kubernetes or large containerized workloads or experience with SMS or messaging applications/mediums
ActiveCampaign is an employee-first culture. We take care of our employees at work and outside of work. You can see more of the details here, but some of our most popular benefits include our comprehensive health and wellness benefits (including no premiums for employees on our HSA plan, tele-health and tele-mental health, and access to the Calm app for mediation), open paid time off, generous 401(k) matching with no vesting, a generous stipend to outfit your remote office, and a focus on career growth including access to personal and professional coaching. We take a proactive approach to diversity and inclusion and offer parental leave, career pathing, and support employees’ ongoing learning and development through Udemy and access to life coaches via Modern Health. We also offer cool swag.
ActiveCampaign is an equal opportunity employer. We recruit, hire, pay, grow and promote no matter of gender, race, color, sexual orientation, religion, age, protected veteran status, physical and mental abilities, or any other identities protected by law.
Our Employee Resource Groups (ERGs) strive to foster a diverse inclusive environment by supporting each other, building a strong sense of belonging, and creating opportunities for mentorship and professional growth for their members.
Our core values:
Start with trust
Make the customer a hero
Cultivate inclusion & diversity
Iterate everything, always
Pursue growth with gratitude
Visit here to learn about perks and benefits at ActiveCampaign and see our values in action.