Engineering Manager (Remote available)
Development – Handoff /
We’re Ada. We’re an ambitious team based out of Toronto that enables businesses around the world to provide incredible customer service. Our AI-powered platform has automated more than 75 million+ conversations for companies like Shopify, TELUS, Upwork, and Zoom – and we’re just getting started.
You can learn more about the founding of our company here. Just as the field of machine learning continues to advance, so do we. And it is the passion of our people and dedication to our craft that continues to drive our dramatic growth.
We are inspired every day by the opportunity to pioneer a new industry, and welcome those who want to join us.
As an Engineering Manager on our Hand Off team, you'll be managing a team working with internal and external stakeholders, product managers, and designers to execute Ada’s Hand Off roadmap in order to deliver the best in class hand-off experiences to both agents and chatters. Your goal will be to build the highest impact live chat integrations for our automation platform, with an emphasis on understanding customer needs and cross-platform use cases. Your team will focus on building new APIs and CRM/Live Chat platform integrations with Ada partners as well as improving the integrations we currently maintain, such as Salesforce and Zendesk. The Engineering Manager will play a key role in shaping the future of the Engineering group and scaling not only the technology, but the organization itself.
- You have deep technical knowledge and expertise
- Coaching mindset
- You feel a sense of pride, satisfaction, and gratitude when you’ve been a part of helping others grow and improve
- You can recognize talent and know when to nurture it in others
- You’re willing to hold others accountable for their words and actions
- You’re aware of your strengths and weaknesses
- You’re excited by Ada’s mission, technology, and people
- You believe in continuous improvement
- You are highly data-driven, but also have the experience and wisdom to trust your intuition
- You communicate and collaborate extremely well
Technical Leader Outcomes
- Manage a team of 4 - 6 Engineers
- Support the team in prioritizing, planning, and managing upcoming work items
- Provide technical direction and guidance to team members when needed
- Identify and unblock issues impeding the teamInsist on observability and data driven decision making
- Foster a culture of continuous improvement
- Collaborate with Product Management and other key stakeholders
- Understand the staffing needs of the team and ensure it is set up for success
- Identify talented candidates during hiring and interviews
- Help improve the hiring process and remove systemic bias
- Conduct regular 1-on-1s with direct reports
- Facilitate regular feedback and 360 reviews
- Identify bright stars and advocate for them
- Find “coachable moments” and opportunities
- Collaborate closely with Product Management and Design to create a high performing Product team
- Identify and prioritize department-wide architecture and tech debt-driven projects
- Help evolve Ada’s Engineering organization and improve processes
- Identify gaps in competency and opportunities to improve
Ada is a rapidly growing company located at Spadina and Adelaide in Toronto, Canada’s thriving AI ecosystem. We are backed by world-class investors, including Accel, Bessemer Venture Partners and Version One. We provide our employees with competitive compensation, great health benefits, and ownership in our company. Our work is rooted in authenticity, courage, empathy, and simplicity. We use these values to create a culture that encourages groundbreaking results, career progression, and community investment.
Ada is an equal opportunity employer. In fact, diversity is what drives our success – it’s at the core of how we hire, communicate, and work. Like our Platform, we are inclusive to all, and combine our diverse backgrounds, skill sets and thinking to build the best experiences for our clients and their customers.