Tax and Finance Accountant
Business Services – Finance /
Adaptavist is a global software innovator, enabling organisations to digitally transform how they collaborate and get work done. Founded in 2005 and with a growing global reach, our customers cut across every major industry and include more than half of all Fortune 500 companies.
Today, Adaptavist leverages its deep technical understanding of Atlassian and innovative partnership with Slack to help organisations embrace new ways of working to achieve competitive advantage.
Through trusted consultancy, app development, training, hosting, and licensing solutions, Adaptavist has established itself as the go-to partner of choice within the Atlassian Ecosystem.
About the role:
The Tax and Finance Accountant will be a very hands on role and will join an extremely fast-paced finance team. Reporting directly into the Financial Controller and assisting on tax related queries and projects. The role will be fast-paced and varied and will allow plenty of opportunities for personal and professional development as Adaptavist continues to grow.
In this role, you will support with providing an efficient and robust tax compliance environment in the UK, Europe, Asia and in the US. We're looking for someone with experience in a number of UK tax areas, ranging across corporation tax, employment taxes, and indirect taxes (VAT/customs/excise) and various international taxes. While it is more VAT and sales tax heavy to account for the growing of the merchant of record business, your involvement on the corporate tax side is lighter because you would be working with external advisors who will complete and submit these.
As a hyper growth scale up, we have a global presence, and have 20 corporate entities operating in countries including: UK, EU, Canada, USA, Spain, Malaysia, Estonia, Germany, Hong Kong. This is a super exciting role which will allow you to collaborate with global stakeholders.
You will also support the team with various financial activities such as month end, balance sheet schedules and reconciliations, expense analysis for benefit tax, transfer pricing recharges, liaising with external advisors and dealing with internal queries.
Some of the things you’ll do
- Review and preparation of monthly UK VAT schedules, workings and filing returns for HMRC submission
- Liaising with Financial Controller on VAT payments and repayments
- Liaising with HMRC on VAT queries and audits
- Drafting internal VAT guides and training manuals
- Advising finance team on correct VAT and international sales/purchase tax treatments on sales and purchases
- Setting up accounting system to track taxes correctly and accurately for tax reporting purposes
- Advising on potential withholding tax
- Review and preparation of EC sales submissions
- Review and preparation of monthly EU VAT transaction and schedules for annual reclaims
- Review and preparation of VAT MOSS submissions
- Monthly sales/federal/provincial tax submissions
- Responsible for ensuring meeting deadlines for global taxes filings, ensuring full documentation for compliance
Staff Benefits (PAYE Settlement Agreement
- Coordinate with external advisers to complete PSA and P11D
- Assist in drafting expense policies and advising on staff benefit tax implication
- Liaising with auditors on tax related matters: Corporation Taxes, deferred taxes, VAT, PAYE, etc
- Reconciling VAT balance sheet schedules and completing VAT turnover reconciliations for audit
Other potential areas you may be involved in:
- Assisting on various financial accounting activities
- Supporting the Financial Controller and Head of Finance on ad hoc related queries
- Maintaining fixed assets and depreciation
- Assisting on Transfer Pricing and intercompany recharges
- Assisting on R&D Tax Credits computation
- Global payroll taxes and employee benefits – posting and queries
- Tax registrations
What we're looking for:
- Qualified ACA and /or CTA
- Good technical knowledge of UK and Group Tax legislation
- Previous experience in dealing with international taxes and working with multiple currencies (GBP, USD, CAD, MYR, EUR) and multinational entities
- Excellent organisational skills with strong time management skills
- Forensic attention to detail
- An ability to think innovatively and creatively
- Strong communication skills (both verbal and written) and ability to work with a variety of stakeholders
- Flexible, with the ability to work in a fast-paced environment and adapt quickly to changing priorities
- Able to work as part of a team and able to use your own initiative to solve problems
- Advanced Excel skills
- Self-starter, strongly ambitious and tenacious: willing to go the extra mile
- Willingness to learn
A few nice to haves
- Previous experience using Xero or Netsuite
- Have worked in a fast-paced technology environment
- Background and experience working in audit
- Fluent in additional languages
Please check out our website to review our global benefits!
At Adaptavist, we are committed to promoting a diverse and inclusive community, and believe this positively impacts both the creation of our innovative products and our delivery of bespoke solutions to our global customers and our own unique culture. We encourage all qualified applicants, regardless of age, disability, race, sexual orientation, religion or belief, sex, gender identity, pregnancy and maternity, marriage, and civil partnership status. From our family-friendly policies to our flexible work environment we offer a range of benefits and policies in order to support staff from all different backgrounds. If you have any questions, please do ask us. We look forward to your application!