Director of Product Design
New York, NY
R&D – Design
Addepar is an enterprise software company dedicated to providing transparency to complex financial portfolios for investors and advisors alike. We’re building revolutionary products for an industry in which good design is not an expectation, and often isn’t even a consideration. Strong design is a crucial differentiator in our approach to helping people make sense of the complexity inherent in finance.
As Director of Product Design, you will lead Addepar’s product design and user research functions, reporting to our VP of Product. You’ll partner with your peers on Product and Engineering to set our overall product vision, strategy, and client experience, and you’ll lead and develop a strong team of designers and researchers to deliver on those goals. Your work will include building the infrastructure we need to deliver consistent client experiences; establishing solid, foundational user research practices; and ensuring that the results of our work are understood and leveraged across the company.
What you’ll do
- Collaborate with leaders in Product, Marketing, and Services to develop the product strategy that will help us to achieve our company objectives.
- Lead our transformation from one client experience to several tailored experiences designed to support the unique needs of different market segments and types of users.
- Represent a key pillar of our Product leadership organization, reporting to our VP of Product and partnering closely with leads in Product Management, Product Marketing, Product Content, and Product Analytics.
- Provide leadership and mentorship for the Product Design team across our Mountain View and New York offices.
- Partner closely with leaders on Product and Engineering to build cross-functional teams that can deliver product and service solutions that solves for users problems.
- Set the direction for the Product Design team by driving strategic projects and investments (for example, design systems and usability improvements) and securing the appropriate resources.
- Define and build our user research function to ensure that we have the foundational research we need to make informed strategic decisions.
- Enable team members to focus and do their best work by establishing repeatable frameworks and scalable processes.
- Grow a strong and valued team by anticipating hiring needs and recruiting the best individual contributors and managers.
- Build and foster Addepar’s design culture, and promote and advocate for design principles across the company.
- Collaborate with our Communication Design team and other members of Addepar’s Marketing team to drive our cohesive brand.
Who you are
- A Product Design expert; experience crafting product and design visions and strategies and the ability to motivate others to independently execute those strategies.
- The ability to bring simplicity to complex problems.
- A user-centric and data-informed approach to product design, with a focus on user feedback and data insights and a background in both qualitative and quantitative methodologies.
- An excellent communicator with top-notch storytelling skills.
- A team builder who’s also a cross-functional leader; demonstrated success recruiting in competitive markets.
- The drive to continue learning and developing.
- Experience leading a decentralized design team, with designers who are embedded within cross-functional teams and work closely with marketing and service partners on end-to-end experiences.
What you bring
- At least 5 years leading design teams with a variety of crafts (user experience, visual, interaction, information architecture, and research) at a product company.
- Experience delivering high-quality client experiences across web and mobile products.
- Experience establishing processes to ensure that good design practices are being followed in every development project.
- The ability to tell the story of our users, advocate for them, and develop an appreciation for their perspectives within the company.
- And, for bonus points:
- Experience leading a Product Design team in an Enterprise SaaS product team.
- Experience leading Product Design for a FinTech product.
Addepar is the financial operating system that brings common sense and data-driven investing to our financial world. Addepar gives investors and advisors a clearer financial picture at every level, all in one place. It handles all types of assets denominated in any currency. With customizable reporting, financial advisors can visualize and communicate relevant information to anyone who needs it. Secure, scalable, and fast, Addepar is purpose-built to power the global financial system. Hundreds of single and multi-family offices, wealth advisors, large financial institutions, endowments, and foundations manage over $1 trillion of assets on the Addepar platform. Addepar has offices in Mountain View, New York City, Salt Lake City, and Chicago.
At Addepar, we rely on a range of backgrounds, experiences, and ideas. We value diversity, and we’re proud to be an inclusive, equal opportunity workplace.