Senior Backend Engineer
Remote or Los Angeles
Ad Hoc Labs are the makers of Burner, one of the top-grossing independent apps in the world. Our mission is to build best-in-class software products that empower our millions of customers with better control of their privacy, communications, and identity, and to do it as a self-sustaining company whose culture and practices we can be proud of.
Our bestselling app Burner has been the category leader in virtual phone number apps for more than five years, serving millions of consumers with a way to generate additional phone numbers when needed, keep them indefinitely or use them only temporarily, and delete them when finished – all without the hassle of wireless carriers or contracts. Burner was named a top 50 app by TIME and has been covered extensively in the press, including the New York Times who said “a thin layer of privacy between yourself and the rest of the world, when needed, is hard to put a price on”.
As a Senior Backend Engineer, you will be a key member of our engineering team building the next generation of mobile privacy tools. You will work closely with the mobile and product teams to architect new features and build out fast, scalable backend services.
What is the platform team like at Ad Hoc Labs?
The platform team is the foundation of our customer experience, handling significant projects that drive our mobile apps daily. Our team covers everything from design to deployment, collaborating with mobile and product counterparts. Our goal is to foster an environment where engineers thrive, supported by streamlined processes.
Our team members are encouraged to embrace new technologies and find the best tool for every problem. We have micro services written in Scala, backed by Postgres and Redis, managed and deployed using Kubernetes. We leverage AWS across the platform, including AWS Lambda and Serverless.
As a senior member, you'll play a pivotal role. From guiding cross-functional teams to influencing our engineering culture, senior platform engineers at Ad Hoc Labs take initiative and make an impact.
What qualities make a great fit?
- At least 5 years of professional software development experience. Any experience with statically typed languages is a bonus.
- You've led projects designing and developing highly responsive REST APIs, working with technical and non technical stakeholders.
- Solid foundation with relational database design and experience working with Postgres at scale.
- Mastery of the development lifecycle, from brainstorming to deployment.
- You thrive in collaborative settings.
- You want to own and drive engineering culture.
- Eagerness to fast track your career.
Bonus points for
- Experience with high-volume messaging services.
- Deep understanding of telephony or VOIP systems. You've previously lead a technical integration with a telephony provider such as Twilio, Bandwidth, etc.
- Building microservices and distributed systems.
- Fraud detection and analytics pipelines expertise.
- Leading pivotal projects, shaping our platform's future.
- Dive deep into designing, developing, and enhancing server features.
- Collaborating with the team, ensuring seamless performance across services.
- Wearing the innovators hat - we believe good ideas come throughout the organization and have dedicated time for engineering driven ideas.
Perks of the job
- Top tier health and dental coverage for employees, dependents, and domestic partners.
- A robust 401K with a 4% match.
- Investment in career development, including training and conferences.
- Work remotely in style. Get a stipend to set up or enhance your remote work setup.
Our hiring ethos
Real talent. Real Potential. No gimmicks. Our process is transparent, valuing your expertise and assessing how you can make waves at Ad Hoc Labs.
We’re team-driven. We champion customer experience, celebrate continuous learning, and empower our members to lead, innovate, and succeed.
Ad Hoc Labs is a remote-first company. Select roles may require regional geography and/or frequent travel. All candidates need to be able to maintain a productive remote working environment with access to video-quality internet.
We are committed to building a diverse, inclusive company and we encourage applications from candidates of all backgrounds.