Senior Production Engineer
Sydney, AU /
Operations – Production Engineering /
Advanced Navigation is one of the world’s most ambitious innovators in AI robotics and navigation technology across land, air, sea and space. While our main headquarters are in Sydney, we have multiple research facilities in Australia and sales offices around the world. Since 2011, the company has experienced great success and has progressed into several deep, new technologies. Our fields of expertise include underwater sonar, GNSS, radio frequency systems, inertial sensors, robotics, quantum sensors and photonics.
Today, Advanced Navigation is a supplier to some of the world's largest companies, including Airbus, Boeing, Google, Tesla, Apple, and General Motors. We are the catalyst of the autonomy revolution and our technology can be seen in exciting applications across the globe.
Hydrus, our revolutionary underwater robot will help restore oceans to a flourishing state. You will find our navigation systems in the autonomous Indy race cars and thousands of Plus AI autonomous trucks. We help farmers adopt autonomous farming equipment and assist in various fields of research. Switching to software, our cloud-based drone management platform helps patrol beaches for emergency rescues and shark tracking. Off-planet, we will deliver a navigation system for the next NASA moon landing. The applications of our technologies are quite limitless - where there is autonomy, you will find Advanced Navigation.
This role is the functional expert for the Advanced Navigation Team in production processes primarily to the R&D and Production teams. This role is accountable for the production and assembly of complex electronics equipment as well as the inspection and re-calibration of products returning from the field for service. Our Senior Production Engineers form part of a highly skilled and knowledgeable team playing a crucial role within the team.
Role and Responsibilities
- Utilising previous experience to assess new products for manufacturability and recommend design changes, production processes, suppliers and equipment to R&D for scaled manufacture
- Support the production team by providing technical expertise to minimise production stoppages and meet targets. (Through daily updates and more formal engagement such as larger training sessions or workshops).
- Research manufacturing processes and evaluate them for potential to achieve production goals. Engage suppliers and form collaborative relationships that are mutually beneficial. (Example: suppliers providing equipment or services for trial purposes or providing training for Advanced Navigation at minimal cost).
- Perform root cause analysis on material failed at incoming goods, production failures and customer returned product to determine appropriate repairs and/or corrective actions to minimise scrap and/or improve product quality.
- Document findings and prepare customer/supplier reports. As well as managing supplier relationships to enable mutually beneficial outcomes in quality and cost
- Perform repairs on product and/or provide instructions to enable technicians to repair products
- Drive continuous improvement and manage change in the production team (by identifying systemic production issues, troubleshooting and advising the production team on technical process improvements together with R&D
- Accountable for the implementation of new products into production; Inspection of the first production batch of new or modified components or assemblies, Verify production jigs and equipment for suitability prior to use in production, Train production team technicians against work instructions to support the new product
- Support the development of our Quality Systems (especially QA/QC) to meet Advanced Navigation's quality targets.
- Complete detailed assembly training of Production Team Technicians
- Develop a solid operational understanding of all aspects within the Company: Immersing yourself into the team & wider organisation to develop an understanding of how each role & team all contribute to our strategic vision
- Live by our values: Set quantifiable targets that demonstrate your commitment to our values
- Safety: Live & breathe a safety culture;
- Be an advocate for safety within the workplace
- Remain compliant with all HSE requirements & obligations
Qualifications and Experience
- Bachelor of Mechanical, Mechatronics or Electronics Engineering and 10+ years experience in a similar position, in a similar industry
- Established professional relationships with suppliers relevant to Advanced Navigation (Injection Moulding, Machining, 3D Printing, Dispensing, Potting, PCBA, Polyurethane or Silicone material).
- Experienced in the assembly & fabrication of cutting edge mechanical and electronic technology products or similar
- Capable of upskilling quickly to develop deep technical capabilities in a challenging technical domain
- Based in Perth, able to work effectively with Perth and Sydney teams both remotely and locally across multiple stakeholders, including R&D Engineers and Production Technicians
- Well developed, structured problem solving, fault finding and debugging skills
- Strong attention to detail with an ability to provide accurate technical documentation
- Be highly motivated with an energetic, responsive and decisive disposition
- Strong knowledge of WHS practices
- Proven high standard of attention to detail, time management and “follow-through”
What are some of the benefits you will have access to?
You'll have access to industry-leading products with diverse applications within some of the most interesting and exciting projects worldwide. We’re growing a team of inspired, smart, and driven individuals from all sorts of backgrounds. With great opportunities for growth and variety, we strive to help each employee carve out the path that’s right for them.
Apart from the above you will be doing your life's best work in a large, fun office in central Sydney close to all public transportation, with coffee and breakfast provided, to keep you going throughout the day.