Do you want to shape the future of enterprise software?
At Aera Technology, we apply Internet scale technology to the challenges facing enterprise businesses. Think of the self-driving car: connected, always-on, thinking, and autonomous. Our mission is to enable companies in the same way.
We’re looking for a talented Director of Engineering to join our global engineering team and to build an elite team from scratch in Pune. As Director, Engineering, you will recruit, onboard and manage a team of rock star software engineers. Additionally, you will be instrumental in the development and architecture of our enterprise cloud platform. You will collaborate closely with our architects, designers, and product managers to influence product direction and functional requirements, and deliver complex high performing, high quality, scalable software products and APIs.
Thus far, Aera has successfully established a Data Science Team in Pune. The next step in our India expansion is to build an Engineering team. You will be one of our first Engineering hires in Pune and will be charged with building a high performing Engineering organization from the ground up. This position is critical to Aera’s mission and is a great opportunity for the right leader.
Our ideal candidate for this role will be:
• Quality focused. You know what it takes to deliver quality, sustainable systems, and you can teach others to do the same
• Self-Motivated. The drive to deliver is just a part of you. You don’t go home without accomplishing something. You routinely get stuff done in the absence of clarity, guidance, or kudos … although we will provide all three
• Team Builder. You know how to recruit and retain top talent. You know how to bring out the best in those around you, both on your immediate team, and on the extended Aera team
• Great Teammate. You enjoy collaborating with, learning from, and guiding others so we all become better. You assume good intent in others, and actively do your part to make a positive work environment
- Hire and lead an elite team of 40-50 software engineers. Role will entail 40% hands-on development; 60% managerial duties
- Coordinate and collaborate with remote overseas teams
- Keep development team on track through agile/scrum process
- Lead project planning and prioritization
- Work with the team to ensure sufficient processes and tools are in place to meet the requirements of the business and customers
- Collaborate multi-functionally as a catalyst in all phases of the development life-cycle, partnering to ensure efficient delivery of high-quality product
- Ensure that every member of the team is delivering at an extraordinary level
- Participate in design, architecture and code reviews
- Conduct performance evaluations and one-on-one meetings with team members
- Demonstrate strong personal values and a commitment to our mission and customers
- Shipped enterprise software
- 8+ years of hand-on experience in Java, J2EE, Web development, Distributed systems, and caching techniques
- 4+ years in leadership position with people management experience within a dynamic, start-up environment
- Strong work ethic; self-directed and resourceful; self-starter who acts with initiative and is pro-active
- Strong staff management and organizational skills
- Previous hiring & team building experience
- Experience in collaborating with remote overseas teams required
- Experience with scrum/agile processes
- Experience mentoring elite engineers - review code, design, allocate resources and jump into the code as needed
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to work with business and technical leadership teams
- Experience with SQL development, data modeling and data structures for high-volume and high-velocity data.
- Experience with cloud computing platforms including AWS and Google Cloud
- Working knowledge of Kafka, Apache Spark, HDFS and Elasticsearch
At Aera, we're on a mission to solve the biggest, most intractable challenges of enterprise software. We envision the rise of the Self-Driving Enterprise: a more autonomously functioning business with a central operating system that connects and orchestrates business operations. Our platform is increasingly used by the world's largest companies to identify and respond to market opportunities faster.
If you share our passion for building the next generation of enterprise software and implementing it for the most sophisticated customers in the world, you’ve met your match. Headquartered in Mountain View, California, we're growing fast, with teams in Mountain View and San Francisco (California), Bucharest and Cluj-Napoca (Romania), Paris (France), Munich (Germany), London (UK), Pune (India), and Sydney (Australia). So join us, and let’s build this!