Cluj-Napoca, Romania /
R&D – Engineering 330 /
Aera Technology is the Cognitive Automation company that makes business agility happen. We deliver the first scalable digital platform that integrates with existing systems to make and execute business decisions in real time. In the era of digital acceleration, Aera helps enterprises around the world transform how they respond to the ever-changing environment.
We’re looking for a talented Manager of Engineering to join our global engineering organization and lead an elite team of engineers in Cluj.
As Manager, Engineering, you will recruit, onboard and manage a team of rock star software engineers. Additionally, you will be instrumental in the development and architecture of our enterprise cloud platform. You will collaborate closely with our architects, designers, and product managers to influence product direction and functional requirements, and deliver complex high performing, high quality, scalable software products and APIs.
This position is critical to Aera’s mission and is a great opportunity for the right leader.
- Hire and lead an elite team of 6-10 software engineers
- Role will entail 60% hands-on development; 40% managerial duties
- Own the successful product delivery, by keeping the team on track through agile/scrum process
- Lead project planning and prioritization
- Work with the team to ensure sufficient processes and tools are in place to meet the requirements of the business and customers
- Collaborate multi-functionally as a catalyst in all phases of the development life-cycle, partnering to ensure efficient delivery of high-quality product
- Collaborate across timezones with US-based company leadership and teams in India, recognizing that this requires flexibility
- Ensure that every member of the team is delivering at an extraordinary level
- Participate in design, architecture and code reviews
- Conduct performance evaluations and one-on-one meetings with team members
- Demonstrate strong personal values and a commitment to our mission and customers
- 8+ years of hands-on experience in Java, J2EE, Web development, distributed systems, and caching techniques
- 2+ years in leadership position with people management experience
- Strong staff management and organizational skills
- Previous hiring & team building experience
- Experience in collaborating with remote overseas teams required
- Experience mentoring elite engineers - review code, design, allocate resources and jump into the code as needed
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to work with business and technical leadership teams
- Experience with scrum/agile processesExperience with SQL development, data modeling and data structures for high-volume and high-velocity data
- Experience with cloud computing platforms including AWS and Google Cloud
- Working knowledge of Kafka, Apache Spark, HDFS and Elasticsearch is a plus
- Quality focused: You know what it takes to deliver quality, sustainable systems, and you can teach others to do the same
- Self-Motivated: The drive to deliver is just a part of you. You don’t go home without accomplishing something. You routinely get stuff done in the absence of clarity, guidance, or kudos … although we will provide all three
- Team Builder: You know how to recruit and retain top talent. You know how to bring out the best in those around you, both on your immediate team, and on the extended Aera team
- Great Teammate: You enjoy collaborating with, learning from, and guiding others so we all become better
- Strong work ethic; self-directed and resourceful; self-starter who acts with initiative and is pro-active
Our Ideal Candidate
Perks and Benefits
- Stock Options: We believe every Aera team member should have a stake in our future success
- Medical: A medical subscription to one of the main private healthcare clinic networks (Regina Maria)
- Employee Referral Program: Earn cash when your referrals get hired!
- Learning and Development: You’ll have access to professional development content through Udemy, our online learning platform. Udemy offers thousands of courses to help you learn new skills - whether for your professional development or your personal interests
- Paid Time Off: Based on seniority, you can benefit from extra annual leave days (up to 5 extra days)
- Snacks: When you’re working from the office, you’ll have access to our fully stocked kitchen with a selection of snacks and beverages
- Events and Extras: We work hard and get things done, but we also value the importance of having fun: office outings; birthday celebrations; holiday parties; weekly in-office lunches, and more
- Work Schedule: We’re open to a hybrid work model, and can offer a flexible daily schedule depending on your role
Note: We’re continuously re-evaluating these to offer the best for our Aeranauts, so these are subject to change for the better
At Aera, we're on a mission to solve the biggest, most intractable challenges in the world of enterprise software. We envision the rise of the Self-Driving Enterprise: a more autonomously functioning business with a central operating system that connects and orchestrates business operations. Our Cognitive Operating System is increasingly used by the world's largest companies to fundamentally transform their organizations and how work is done.
If you share our passion for building the next generation of enterprise software, and deploying it for the most sophisticated customers in the world, you’ve met your match. Headquartered in Mountain View, California, we're growing fast, with teams in Mountain View and San Francisco (California), Bucharest and Cluj-Napoca (Romania), Paris (France), Munich (Germany), London (UK), Pune and Bangalore (India), Sydney (Australia) and Singapore. So join us, and let’s build the future of work together!