Engineering Specialist - Materials and Process Lead
Melbourne, FL /
Aircraft Development – Structures /
What We're About
Aerion is on a mission to revolutionize global mobility by building the next generation of high-speed global transportation networks. We are committed to a vibrant and connected world where distance is no longer a barrier, and to innovation that is kind to our planet. Working at Aerion is so much more than building the world’s first carbon-neutral supersonic aircraft – it’s about bringing humanity closer together.
We plan have this position start work in our temporary facility, Aerion South, at Melbourne-Orlando International Airport. Start date will be contingent upon successful completion of our Design Readiness Review (DRR) anticipated in Q2 2021.
As a Materials & Processes Engineering Specialist you will report to the Technology Development Leadership Team and be responsible for development of advanced composite and metallic material & processes for the AS2 supersonic business jet. You will be part of a newly created team responsible for establishing material and process specifications, design requirements and manufacturing strategies for advanced composite and metallic materials.
On any given day you might:
- Recommend and support the qualification, testing, and failure analysis of advanced composite and metallic materials for AS2 supersonic design
- Apply advanced knowledge and creative ideas to guide the development and implementation of unique material systems to highly complex design and manufacturing problems
- Provide guidance in the areas of for the supplier selection, manufacturing process development and regulatory compliance of new and innovative systems - in the areas of thermosets, thermoplastics, additive manufacturing and advanced alloys
- Support growing the Materials and Processes subject matter team for the AS2 aircraft development
- Plan and Execute advanced composite and/or metallic alloy development schedule for the AS2 program by leading all internal and external stakeholders
- Support business plan development and selecting strategic partners for the new technologies group
We are looking for someone who has:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Aerospace, Mechanical, Materials or any other directly relevant engineering field required, with consideration for graduate (Master’s or higher) degree
- Minimum of 8+ years experience in advanced materials and processes qualifications, testing, manufacturing and certification of large military or Part 25 aircrafts required, with minimum of 3 years in a lead role
- Strong knowledge of Part 25 certification required
- Knowledge of latest and greatest aerospace materials, advanced manufacturing processes and qualification requirements
- Leadership experience including team building, providing guidance, and communicating team goals effectively
- Demonstrated success in dealing and influencing internal and external stakeholders
- Excellent problem-solving skills across multi-disciplinary skill sets
- Experience in a global environment working with customers and suppliers
Let's Build a Company Together
We are looking for creative, courageous pioneers and innovators; people that are committed to having a profound impact on our world. We are looking for people who believe in a bold vision and can back it up with successful execution. People that love the beauty of flight and are deeply committed to protecting our planet. People that have unquestionable integrity and are committed to building a company the world can trust, and products that our customers know are safe.