Visual and Industrial Designer
Reno, NV /
Aircraft Development – Avionics, Flight Deck & Electrical /
What We're About
Aerion is on a mission to revolutionize global mobility by building the next generation of high-speed global transportation networks. We are committed to a vibrant and connected world where distance is no longer a barrier, and to innovation that is kind to our planet. Working at Aerion is so much more than building the world’s first carbon-neutral supersonic aircraft – it’s about bringing humanity closer together.
Here's the deal:
We plan have this position start work in our temporary facility, Aerion South, at Melbourne-Orlando International Airport. Start date will be contingent upon successful completion of our Design Readiness Review (DRR) anticipated in Q2 2021.
As User Interface / User Experience Designer you will help develop the industry-leading flight deck and cabin design. You will report to the Flight Deck Integrated Product Team (IPT) Lead and the Cabin IPT Lead. Candidates shall have visual/graphic design and industrial design experience. You will be responsible for creating and designing layouts of pages on avionics displays as well as developing 3D models of components within the flight deck and cabin to convey design intent to suppliers. You will join a small but highly experienced team, working closely with our suppliers, to design and develop a state-of-the-art flight deck and cabin for a revolutionary supersonic business jet.
On any given day you might:
- Define the visual design language / widget library to be used across flight deck and cabin displays
- Work with A661 widget supplier to ensure design and interaction needs are met
- Develop and define the UX/UI architecture for screen-based interface functionalities – coordinating and synthesizing inputs from various sub-systems into a coherent, capable and intuitive user experience
- Work with a multidisciplinary team including cognizant engineers, human factors, software, and pilots to understand interfacing systems, constraints, and user needs
- Create paper prototypes of display layouts for the flight deck and cabin displays
- Create interactive Multi-modal (screen-based, virtual and physical, and other..) prototypes of display layouts showing page linking and dynamic behavior
- Present prototypes to cognizant engineers and pilots to ensure needs are captured
- Develop User experience testing plans and conduct evaluations for concept validation
- Provide feedback on software implementation to ensure intent is captured
- Create 3D models to convey intended functionality and form factor of Line Replaceable Units
- Develop 3D printed parts or clay models of initial designs
- Work directly with engineering and design staff of Aerion suppliers
- Ability to concisely report status
- Foster a culture that inspires high levels of performance and employee retention
We're looking for someone who has:
- Bachelor’s degree in relevant field. A combination of education and experience may substitute for a degree.
- 5+ years of experience in UI/UX, graphic/visual design, and industrial design
- Experience with UI/UX software (e.g., Adobe Illustrator, Adobe PhotoShop, InVision, etc.)
- Experience with Siemens NX and/or other CAD platforms preferred
- 3D Printing or clay modeling experience desired
- Experience with preparing images/prototypes for conversion to software
- Experience working in aviation or automotive preferred
- Strong attention to detail
- Experience balancing the needs of form and function
- Open to receiving feedback on designs
- An insatiable curiosity and interest in emerging consumer technologies. Capable CAD designer, tech enthusiast, programmer, graphic designer, modelmaker, builder and inventor!
We want to build a company around people who are:
- Highly self-motivated with a strong bias for action
- Effective at nurturing strong professional relationships
- Committed to fostering a culture of empowerment & creativity
- Just good people!
Let's Build a Company Together
We are looking for creative, courageous pioneers and innovators; people that are committed to having a profound impact on our world. We are looking for people who believe in a bold vision and can back it up with successful execution. People that love the beauty of flight and are deeply committed to protecting our planet. People that have unquestionable integrity and are committed to building a company the world can trust, and products that our customers know are safe.