Melbourne, FL /
Everything Else – Business Support /
What We're About
Aerion is on a mission to revolutionize global mobility by building the next generation of high-speed global transportation networks. We are committed to a vibrant and connected world where distance is no longer a barrier, and to innovation that is kind to our planet. Working at Aerion is so much more than building the world’s first carbon-neutral supersonic aircraft – it’s about bringing humanity closer together.
Here's the deal:
Aerion is looking for an Assistant Controller to join our Accounting team. The Assistant Controller will report to the VP, Controller. The Assistant Controller will be a highly visible and critical position providing leadership to the company’s accounting function. In this new created role, the Assistant Controller will initially be responsible for building an in-house accounting team, then to oversee the operations of the accounting department, while managing the day-to-day accounting function and ensuring accurate and timely period-end close.
On any given day you might:
- Initially, build an in-house accounting team while coordinating with the existing outsourced accounting provider
- Once the accounting team is implemented, oversee the day-to-day operations of the accounting department and provide coaching, leadership, and mentoring to the accounting team
- Manage the month-end close process accurately and timely to meet SEC reporting deadlines
- Ensures transactions are accurately and timely recorded in the GL.
- Review the month-end trial balances to ensure completeness and accuracy of the financial information
- Ensure compliance with the Company’s accounting policies and U.S. GAAP.
- Review month-end journal entries, variance analysis reports, account reconciliations and other work performed by the accounting team
- Review and assist the Director of SEC Reporting in the preparation of SEC filings (Forms 10-Q, 10-K, 8-K and others) prepared in accordance with U.S. GAAP and SEC requirements
- Coordinate the relationship with the Company’s external and internal auditors including quarterly reviews and the annual audit
- Partner across the finance organization working closely with other areas such as Financial Reporting, Tax, FP&A, Corporate Development and Contracts, among others
- Partner with IT to identify and implement technology solutions to streamline and optimize the bookkeeping
- Drive continuous improvement projects across the Finance organization
- Provide accounting support for special ad-hoc projects as directed by the VP, Controller and the CFO
We're looking for someone who has:
- Bachelor’s or higher degree in Accounting, Finance, and/or a related field
- Active CPA, or equivalent certification strongly preferred
- 10+ years of progressive experience in accounting and finance
- Proven ability to perform accurate and timely period-end accounting close, preferably at a public company
- Excellent project management skills including the ability to establish and consistently meet deadlines of a public company
- Strong leadership and coaching skills with experience managing and mentoring teams
- A strong knowledge of U.S. GAAP
- A solid working understanding of cost accounting
- Previous experience with external and internal audits required
- Previous experience in a public accounting firm strongly preferred
- Strong system skills including experience implementing ERP systems or scaling ERP system capabilities in a growing company
- Ability to challenge and improve existing processes through automation and redesign
- Must be very hands-on and willing to get “in the weeds” initially, but also must have proven skills with growing and leading a strong team for the long term
- Must demonstrate solid communication, analytical and management skills, with unquestionable integrity
- Can anticipate and surface issues, solve problems and recommend solutions, while exercising good business judgment and risk management
- Aerospace & Defense industry experience preferred
We want to build a company around people who are:
- Highly self-motivated with a strong bias for action
- Effective at nurturing strong professional relationships
- Committed to fostering a culture of empowerment & creativity
- Just good people!
Let's Build a Company Together
We are looking for creative, courageous pioneers and innovators; people that are committed to having a profound impact on our world. We are looking for people who believe in a bold vision and can back it up with successful execution. People that love the beauty of flight and are deeply committed to protecting our planet. People that have unquestionable integrity and are committed to building a company the world can trust, and products that our customers know are safe.