Senior Engineer - Flight Dynamics
Melbourne, FL /
Aircraft Development – Flight Controls /
What We're About
Aerion is on a mission to revolutionize global mobility by building the next generation of high-speed global transportation networks. We are committed to a vibrant and connected world where distance is no longer a barrier, and to innovation that is kind to our planet. Working at Aerion is so much more than building the world’s first carbon-neutral supersonic aircraft – it’s about bringing humanity closer together.
We plan have this position start work in our temporary facility, Aerion South, at Melbourne-Orlando International Airport. Start date will be contingent upon successful completion of our Design Readiness Review (DRR) anticipated in Q2 2021.
The flight dynamics engineer works in the Flight Control teams to develop the AS2 aircraft design with the objective to guarantee adequate handling qualities, operational safety and performance achieving and exceeding industry and certification standards.
On any given day you might:
- Use multiple simulation and classical tools to provide analysis of stability and control characteristics of the AS2
- Develop, update, validate and integrate simulation models for flight dynamics
- Develop system requirements for flight control sizing and architecture development
- Act together with the Control Law group to create and analyze handling requirements providing an adequate level of control to guarantee the performance, certification and safe operation of the airplane
- Use common computational tools including but not limited to Matlab/Simulink, Microsoft Office, industry standard plotting tools and theoretical databases (ESDU/Datcom) to develop analysis and reports
- Deal with theoretical, wind tunnel and flight test data as including interactions with the test crews and pilots to provide requirements, guidance and collect feedback related to flight dynamics and handling qualities
- Utilize engineering knowledge of certification requirements and processes in order to certify the design
- Act independently and as part of the team developing a good relationship with the related engineering groups
We're looking for someone who has:
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in aerospace, aeronautical, mechanical or electrical engineering
- 5 years’ experience in stability and control design and analysis of aircraft
- Experience with development of a certified aircraft or similar military project
- Experience with wind tunnel testing is desired
- Experience with flight testing is desired
- Advanced degree in aerospace is a plus
- Flight experience (pilot, flight test engineer or similar) is desired
- Experience with requirements generation, validation and verification processes is desired
Let's Build a Company Together
We are looking for creative, courageous pioneers and innovators; people that are committed to having a profound impact on our world. We are looking for people who believe in a bold vision and can back it up with successful execution. People that love the beauty of flight and are deeply committed to protecting our planet. People that have unquestionable integrity and are committed to building a company the world can trust, and products that our customers know are safe.