Engineering Specialist - Mass Properties
Melbourne, FL /
Aircraft Development – Flight Sciences /
What We're About
Aerion is on a mission to revolutionize global mobility by building the next generation of high-speed global transportation networks. We are committed to a vibrant and connected world where distance is no longer a barrier, and to innovation that is kind to our planet. Working at Aerion is so much more than building the world’s first carbon-neutral supersonic aircraft – it’s about bringing humanity closer together.
We plan have this position start work in our temporary facility, Aerion South, at Melbourne-Orlando International Airport. Start date will be contingent upon successful completion of our Design Readiness Review (DRR) anticipated in Q2 2021.
This role will be working in a small team, defining the Mass Properties of the entire AS2 Aircraft. This position will report directly to the Vice President, Flight Sciences. The successful candidate’s responsibilities will include calculating, collating, managing and reporting the mass properties for the Aerion AS2 supersonic business jet. The candidate will have an expert level understanding of mass properties related to the design, integration and development of business jet, commercial, and/or military class aircraft.
On any given day you might:
- Determine weight and CG data for structures and/or systems IPT packages
- Input and manipulate data within mass properties database tool
- Perform or assist with mass properties trade studies as necessary
- Interact with and oversee supplier/subcontractor mass properties management and control
- Provide regular updates of current and projected mass properties trends to management
- Perform actual weight and balance measurement of detail parts, assemblies and full aircraft
- Prepare aircraft weight & balance documentation for flight and delivery
- Provide mass properties data in support of operational flight manual
We are looking for someone who has:
- Minimum of a Bachelor’s Degree in aerospace or Mechanical Engineering
- 10+ years hands-on experience in mass properties environment
- Experience with Siemens NX,CATIA V5 and PLM software is highly desirable
- Experience with Microsoft Office software (Excel, PowerPoint, Word)
- In-depth and current knowledge of the regulatory requirements and industry standards and practices relating to mass properties management
- Experience in the development of high-end business jets strongly desired
- Demonstrated experience of Supplier weight control management, both on-site and off-site
- Ability to develop high levels of credibility and forge solid professional relationships with subordinates, peers, suppliers and management
Let's Build a Company Together
We are looking for creative, courageous pioneers and innovators; people that are committed to having a profound impact on our world. We are looking for people who believe in a bold vision and can back it up with successful execution. People that love the beauty of flight and are deeply committed to protecting our planet. People that have unquestionable integrity and are committed to building a company the world can trust, and products that our customers know are safe.